Select to view content in your preferred language

Can the container property for a FeatureLayer move a FeatureLayer to another Hosted Feature Service?

3 weeks ago
Labels (2)
Clubdebambos
Occasional Contributor III

Take a look at the ArcGIS API for Python reference for the FeatureLayer and the container property here. An also shown below.

Clubdebambos_0-1718385735404.png

This states that you can GET or SET the FeatureLayerCollection to which the layer belongs. Since a FeatureLayerCollection represents a Feature Service, according to the documentation I should be able to use this to transfer a FeatureLayer from one Feature Service to another.

Is this actually possible with the container property or is the documentation to teasing the heck out of me? I have a feeling it is nonsense but really want it to be capable.

All the best,

Glen

~ learn.finaldraftmapping.com
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EarlMedina
Esri Regular Contributor

A nice idea, but alas I believe the intended usage of this is something like this:

from arcgis.gis import GIS
gis = GIS("https://www.arcgis.com", "user", "passwd")

feature_layer_id = "123456789abcdefghijk" # here feature layer in the portal Item sense, not API object sense
item = gis.content.get(feature_layer_id )
flc = item.layers[0].container # here any layer/table index should return the same FeatureLayerCollection object

So, just another way to get a FeatureLayerCollection. There might be scenarios where this could be more convenient than using fromitem (maybe when fiddling with views?), but to me using fromitem or just directly initializing a FeatureLayerCollection is more readable.

Regarding the get/set - that's just Python. Everything is public so you're allowed to set things you probably wouldn't or shouldn't set 🙂

Clubdebambos
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @EarlMedina 

I had a feeling that was the case. I was hoping for some behind the scenes Esri magic when you set the container property, I got excited but I'm back down to Earth now 😅 

~ learn.finaldraftmapping.com
0 Kudos