Can arcgis.apps.dashboard be used with the new dashboards?

11-30-2022 02:53 AM
Labels (1)
abrown8
New Contributor III

Hi All

Reading the arcgis.apps.dashboard module documentation, it says "Deprecated as ArcGIS Dashboards Classic  is retiring."

Can this submodule/classes still be used to create the new type of dashboards? Will I run into any problems by automating creation?

Thank you

Ali

5 Replies
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

I hope there will be a module for the new Dashboard Version with a more stable API implementation. Being able to automate the creation process is really important.

PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Any word on whether a module that is compatible with the current version of ArcGIS Dashboards will be released? 

0 Kudos
abrown8
New Contributor III

I haven't heard anything further about this. I did however find a (long) workaround for automation by cloning an existing dashboard, using fs.get_data(), editing the json definition and saving. This post helped me out.

Nb. Depending on when the original dashboard was created the json definition might be different to a newer one so your code may not always work.

0 Kudos
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

I asked this at the last Dev Summit in Palm Springs. The development of the new Dashboards is too dynamic to keep the API up to date. They are waiting for the Dashboards development to settle down, before they write a public Python API.
So as far as I know, the old API is not supported with the new Dashboards and there is no alternative at the moment. 

I created a new idea here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-api-for-python-ideas/update-the-arcgis-apps-dashboard-to-suppor...

Releated ideas: 
Ability to push updates to dashboards in productio... - Esri Community 

Operation dashboard - Add the ability to save as a... - Esri Community

0 Kudos