Hosted layer and attachment size incorrectly summed when org items pulled through ArcGIS Python API

04-13-2023 01:17 PM
RyanBarrett1
New Contributor II

Hosted layer and attachments summed when org items pulled through ArcGIS Python API.  We realized this when we built this dashboard:  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/administration/managing-arcgis-online-conten...

This behavior artificially inflates credit burn from hosted feature layers. Regular AGO storage is calculated at 1.2 credits per gigabyte per month whereas hosted layers are calculated at a much higher rate of .24 credits per megabyte per month.    Org items pulled through Python aggregate both attachments and layer size.  This results in a descrepency of over 20GB for our org in total and greater than 5k credits per month inflation in burn rate.  

The standard credit status dashboard also exhibits this behavior when viewing the feature data store list or table export.  This bug was identified in 2021 but has not moved from "In review" status to "under consideration".  https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/status-dashboard-for-credits-shows-combined-size-in-ite-bug-00014...

5 Comments
HannesZiegler

Hi @RyanBarrett1,

Thank you for bringing this discrepancy in credit burn rate to our attention, I've forwarded this to the ArcGIS API for Python devs to investigate further. Do you mind contacting our Technical Support regarding the status of BUG-000141394 for ArcGIS Online (esri.com) (if you haven't already done so)? You can then use them for direct communications for this issue. The ideas exchange is actually not intended for bug reports, but given the severity of this one I'll leave it open for now so there is a direct line of communication until we can confirm with you that support services has picked up the case. 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Thanks for the comment @HannesZiegler 

@RyanBarrett1 it looks like you were already attached to the bug through technical support a few weeks ago. You're best option at this point is to escalate the bug. See https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-escalate-a-bug-in-my-esri-000024129

We're closing this idea as ArcGIS Ideas is not the place to submit bugs. Thank you.

RyanBarrett1

Hello there @HannesZiegler and @KoryKramer

While it's recognized that this issue isn't technically an idea, we have been advised by multiple  esri support staff to post here to raise awareness in the hope of gaining traction towards reaching a resolution more quickly.

To clarify, the bug that was identified (cited below) relates to another ticket regarding the standard credit status dashboard in AGO for our org.  

BUG-000141394 Status Dashboard for credits shows combined size in item details summary for feature and feature attachments.

We opened a separate ticket to troubleshoot similar behavior when pulling org items through ArcGIS Python API yet this behavior was not confirmed nor a bug identified.  This is what this post related to.  We have asked to confirm this behavior and if there is a bug that has been identified for this issue if it can be attached to this case.  

As we wait for a response, we considered it worthwhile to post here as well as suggested by support.  

Thanks,

Ryan

HannesZiegler

Thanks for the additional details, did support provide you with a bug number for the issue you'd like the ArcGIS API to investigate further?

ChristopherCounsell

When I lodged BUG-000141394 it was just cosmetic and misleading administrators. 

We confirmed at the time that credit consumption rates were correct and reflected the feature storage vs attachment rate.

I haven't explored the blog dashboard but would assume that if it uses the same API call as the ArcGIS Online status dashboard, it will have the same issue, but expect the credit consumption rates to be correct.

I'd recommend using the CSV export:

https://esriaustraliatechblog.wordpress.com/2021/06/22/which-arcgis-online-items-are-consuming-the-m...