Why CoordinateConversion widget use GeometryService instead of client-side projection ?

Jump to solution
07-26-2019 02:29 AM
FlavieMoraux
New Contributor III

Hy,

According to spatial reference of the map CoordinateConversion widget use a projection function of geometry service :

By default it is geometry service of ArcGIS Online, but possible to set client geometry service :

esriConfig.geometryServiceUrl = "....";

My questions are :

1. Why widget use geometry service when there is exactly what is needed client-side ?
  2. Is it possible to use esri/geometry/projection function in standard CoordinateConversion widget for standards formats ?

Regards,

Flavie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FlavieMoraux
New Contributor III

Problem occurs only with Internet Explorer 11 and this limitation is enounced in api documentation :

Internet Explorer 11 does not support WebAssembly, so the clientside projection engine will not work.

Client side projection engine work with Firefox and Chrome.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Flavie,

The likely reason is that the Projection class is a Large payload that the API team lets you decide if you want to load that heavy module. They do not assume that you want that amount out payload added to your app just because you are using the cordinateConversion widget.  I don't believe that it is possible to specify that the widget uses the projection class instead of the default geomertyService.

0 Kudos
FlavieMoraux
New Contributor III
Yes, I understand that Projection class is a large payload, but in return it penalize performances for user.
Two modes would have been useful (geometry service or api).
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Then you need to contact esri tech support and request an enhancement.

FlavieMoraux
New Contributor III

Problem occurs only with Internet Explorer 11 and this limitation is enounced in api documentation :

Internet Explorer 11 does not support WebAssembly, so the clientside projection engine will not work.

Client side projection engine work with Firefox and Chrome.

0 Kudos