Vector Tile Layers

07-27-2017 11:44 AM
Jeroenvan_Onzen1
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I just took my time to lean everything about the vector tile layer. And the documentation is really shattered; but my most important places are:

What is a geodatabase?—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop  (Information about creating a geo database)
I have the following five questions:
1) We want to use a very limited dataset, only containing larger cities, lakes, etc and don't want to use the road information etc.
Is it possible to host our own VectorTileServer ; What are the specifications?
2) We want to use all potential styling options. There is a reference to a mapbox site about styling. Only the documentation is incorrect for ARCGIS . When I copy the MapBox style to ARCGIS I receive error messages about incorrect styling.So which options are supported, and which aren't?
3) Is it possible to localize the city names etc. (if available, if so, which languages are available)?
4) Is it possible to display the city names with a 3d effect, depending on the camera angle ?
5) Is it possible to rotate the labels depending on the camera angle?
With regards,
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

You can host your own. 

Author a map for vector tile creation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create vector tiles

Once your map is complete, you're ready to create vector tiles. To do this, you share the map as web layer.

1. Highlight the map in the Contents pane.
  2. On the Share tab, in the Share As group, click the Web Layer Web Layer menu and click Publish Web Layer Publish Web Layer.
  3. In the Share As Web Layer pane, on the General tab, under the Layer Type heading, choose Vector Tiles.
  4. Specify the details of the vector tiles from the Configuration and Content tabs. See the discussion below for guidance.

Alternatively, you can use the Create Vector Tile Package tool. This tool will generate a complete vector tile package, a .vtpk file from a map or a basemap. You can then share and use the vector tiles in ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.

Whether you make vector tiles by publishing a web layer or using the geoprocessing tool, there are a few decisions you need to make prior to creation.