Using a HeatMap renderer on a GraphicsLayer

04-05-2017 03:08 PM
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Greetings,

I have created an app that we use for public safety public disclosure requests.  The app uses a geoprocessing script that queries a database (not geodatabase) that returns rows that have lat/lon coordinates.  Points are then created with the attributes and added to a GraphicsLayer and drawing the layer with a SimpleRenderer to begin with.  I have added a couple of buttons that allow the user to change how the points are displayed.  This displays fine with a SimpleRenderer or UniqueValueRenderer, but won't work with a HeatmapRenderer.  There are no errors in the console, just a blank map.

I have read the documentation and there isn't anything that says a HeatmapRenderer won't work with GraphicsLayer.  I have seen some similar posts that don't actually answer this question.  The code for this seems pretty straightforward.  Here are some snippets for changing the renderers:

function displayBasicPoints() {

var marker = new SimpleMarkerSymbol();
     marker.setColor(new Color([168, 0, 0, 0.25]));

var resultsRenderer = new SimpleRenderer(marker);
     resultsLayer.setRenderer(resultsRenderer);
     resultsLayer.refresh();

}

function displayHeatmap() {
     resultsLayer.spatialReference = map.spatialReference;
     var hr = new HeatmapRenderer();
     resultsLayer.setRenderer(hr);

resultsLayer.refresh();

}

You can also view the app at:  DEX Queries 

Thanks very much for any help!

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Greetings,

I ended up contacting support to see why this wasn't possible.  The answer was that this was by design.  The renderer for a heatmap requires a schema for possible weighting fields and uses the geometry type as set in a featurelayer.  Support was also adding a documentation enhancement that would better describe that the renderer should be used with a featurelayer.

I did find that you can use a unique value renderer with a graphicslayer, so this does seem a bit inconsistent.  It would be nice to render a heatmap in a graphicslayer just based on the geometry and without the ability to use a weight field.

I am going to work on moving my table data into a feature collection that can be used with a featurelayer so it can render a heatmap.  Support pointed me to an example that will be helpful.  Feature collection | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.20 

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos