Unable to print using javascript 3.23, F5 load balancer, and print proxy from GitHub.

Jump to solution
11-30-2020 11:27 AM
JaniceBaird
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All,

I have a JavaScript application (3.23) which I am trying to move from a ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1 environment with web adaptor to a ArcGIS Server 10.8.1 environment with F5 load balancer and no web adaptor. I published the Export Web Map geoprocessing tool and am able to run it successfully from the rest endpoint. I have tried to run it from my application  without the use of a proxy and I receive an error of code 400, Invalid URL. When I try to run the print request through the proxy I get an error code of 500, unable to load.

Unfortunately, I have many problems!

1. I made a change to the proxy.config based on the most recent version in GitHub and now when I try to ping the proxy.ashx file, I get "<ProxyConfig xmlns="> was not expected." The proxy.config file which I downloaded from GitHub has xmlns=proxy.xsd in it. I have tried to remove this and am unable to get the change recognized (My web server is IIS). What is the best way to refresh the proxy?

2. I have tried so many different combinations of urls in my proxy.config that I am now officially dizzy! Can someone please describe for me what the different parts of this file are? I understand (I think) that the allowed referrers are the url that I am allowing access to my print service. What are the server urls? What happens when there are multiple server urls?

The attached txt file has code in it matching my proxy.config and default.aspx files.

I hope that someone out there can understand this and has a solution for me!

Thanks,

Janice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaniceBaird

I was able to get the print service working with the proxy and the F5. The only why I was able to get it working was to completely bypass the F5. I am connecting to my internal servers using port 6443. I was trying to go through the F5 but the internal servers are not able to talk back to the F5 directly. I am not sure if this makes sense to anyone else but it is working.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. 

DavidColey - We are still planning on going without the web adaptor. For us, the only reason to have the web adaptor was for hiding the server info and the F5 handles that now along with load balancing between our two gis servers.

Thanks,

Janice.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi - I have to ask- why do you not want to use the web adaptor?

0 Kudos
JaniceBaird
Hi David,

>From what I understand, the web adaptor is optional when using a third party load balancer. Am I missing something? Will the Web Adaptor help me with my printing problem?

Thanks,

Janice.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Janice - yes that is true.  I ask because we use F5 as our primary switch that is controlled by our IT security group.  In our case F5 does no load balancing, it only redirects requests to the web adaptors, where the web adaptor then sends along requests to the server machines that comprise our hosting site (or to our federated site, depending).

I think those proxy config files from GitHub are expecting the web adaptor, as evidenced by the "<ProxyConfig xmlns="> was not expected."  error.  That's the proxy config xml name space.  F5 is tricky.  Our web server hosting the web adaptor's is not registered with our internal DNS.  Rather, the internal machine name is aliased at the F5. If I then publish and secure a GP or print service from my own server I usually run into CORS problems.

I think that you would have an easier time with any apps or services you deploy if you do use the web adaptor.  I've always found it to be responsive.

0 Kudos
JaniceBaird
Hey David,

I heard that I was going to find it difficult to use F5. I can try your suggestion of including the Web Adaptor but I am going to wait and see if ESRI has any answers for me... Although the tech support guy from ESRI will not help with proxy issues. I am hoping that someone out there has run into this issue and has a solution which does not involve the web adaptor. I am not entirely opposed to using the web adaptor, it is just that I am setting this up for someone who will be taking over the maintenance and they want as few moving parts as possible.

I will let you know how it goes if I end up placing the web adaptor back in service.

Thanks,

Janice.

JaniceBaird

I was able to get the print service working with the proxy and the F5. The only why I was able to get it working was to completely bypass the F5. I am connecting to my internal servers using port 6443. I was trying to go through the F5 but the internal servers are not able to talk back to the F5 directly. I am not sure if this makes sense to anyone else but it is working.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. 

DavidColey - We are still planning on going without the web adaptor. For us, the only reason to have the web adaptor was for hiding the server info and the F5 handles that now along with load balancing between our two gis servers.

Thanks,

Janice.

0 Kudos