Time Aware Chloropleth Map

11-27-2013 11:07 AM
MelanieBruce
New Contributor
Hello,
I have a time enabled layer published as a map service in V 10.1.  The source is a query layer that contains a join of a table of ~500,000 timestamped records in a SQL Server database with the shape of 24 counties to produce a chloropleth map.

In my javascript app, I am currently using ArcGISDynamicMapService with the time slider to generate time instants with a user selected date range.  This is working fairly well. 

However, it would be nice to offer a more fluid experience where the user can drag the thumb on the slider and see the map change almost instantaneously.  Since the geometry will not change (just the atttributes), is there a way that I can download the shapes once, and the entire range of attributes to the client.  Then just change the color of the shapes for each step in time extent? Any other thoughts on the best way to achieve this fluidity is appreciated as well..

I also have access to V10.2 if there is greater functionality

Thanks in advance for any insight..

Melanie
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherJohnson1
Occasional Contributor II
Hi.  Did you ever get a response to this?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
MelanieBruce
New Contributor

Hi,

I had forgotten all about the post, but sadly it does not look like I had any responses. However in retrospect -  the data I had (500,000) records, would have been way to big to load on the client all at once.  You may be able to draw the polygons once with D3 - then change the colors by manipulating the svg client side.  Then for large data, make calls to retrieve smaller groups at a time and build a buffer for a smoother client side exp. 

0 Kudos
ChristopherJohnson1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks, Melanie.

0 Kudos