Is it possible to completely move away from .NET to JavaScript?

Jump to solution
12-26-2014 01:45 PM
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I am a .NET developer and I code web apps against databases. I have been able to move my GIS .NET development to the Esri JS API except for the proxy information, but is there a secure way to use JavaScript for interaction with just a database?

Ideally Esri will make the new data layer editable and that would take all limitations away as long as I could relate data geographically. That will take care of some, but probably not all. Any ideas? Or should I stick with .NET for talking to the server securely?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristophSpoerri
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

On the server side you may still need some .net, in order to provide the necessary DB and security interaction. I would propose you take a look at the Web API framework from Microsoft. It provides the necessary components to create a secure REST API, which you can then easily consume with a javascript client (we use angular js here ).

Cheers, Chris

View solution in original post

16 Replies
PaulCrickard
New Contributor III

Use .NET to write out some DB queries as JSON -I use MVC4. Then use AJAX on client side to grab the JSON and handle the parsing using a library linq.js.

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

It's not looking like I can move away from .NET completely. Thanks for the input. I found it helpful.

0 Kudos
ChristophSpoerri
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

On the server side you may still need some .net, in order to provide the necessary DB and security interaction. I would propose you take a look at the Web API framework from Microsoft. It provides the necessary components to create a secure REST API, which you can then easily consume with a javascript client (we use angular js here ).

Cheers, Chris

JoshHevenor
Occasional Contributor II

You can access your database through ArcGIS Server services.  You're not personally writing SQL anymore but you're not using .NET anymore either.

As long as your website and arcgis server are on the same machine (or you're using the webadaptor) you might not need the proxy either.

0 Kudos
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I'm not sure how I would write to a database outside of feature editing and some of my tables that I want to edit may not have GIS information in them.

0 Kudos
JohnHeinnickel
New Contributor

I wouldn't recommend accessing a database from client side JavaScript if the reason you're attempting to do so through a proxy is so you can have an encrypted channel between the browser and the client.  Clientside Javascript is inherently vulnerable, so the encrypted channel is attempting to use a padlock to keep anyone from getting into a paper bag.

If someone wants to get at your database and can't get through the encyrpted channel,they'll just modify your code or inject their own by targetting the browser.

If you are hooked on the idea of a JavaScript-based access layer, I'd suggest using NodeJS server side.  If you practice "safe selects" and do not trust any input you get from the client, you can retain control over what queries actually get invoked.

The malicious user who hacked your browser code and passed their own queries over the SQL channel would still be able to pass you their own crafted messages, but as long as you don't accept any input that would imply unsupported things happening, you are still safer this way because the database server cannot apply heuristics to discern safe from evil anywhere near as well as your own application code can.

zhongrenGu
New Contributor III

you can use arc SDE with you arcgis server to work,they can edit and   save you data at the same times

0 Kudos
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

One question on that. Can the REST Services be published as editable?

0 Kudos
PaulCrickard
New Contributor III

Sure can. If you set the feature to editable, all the properties can be edited. Can even add files/images. See my post on a ESRI REST API JavaScript class.

JavaScript Class for ESRI REST API | Architecture and Planning