Google Chrome Screen blanking issue

Jump to solution
01-21-2014 01:20 PM
JeffreySchmidt
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I have a map app built on api v3.8 and I have noticed that when using chrome/opera the screen flickers when zooming in and out of a map.  I have a dojo layout with a header/footer/left/center/right panes... and what occurs is the map will populate tiles, blank out for a second, the other content panes blank and then back to normal.  Not an issue with firefox, ie, even safari.  A good amount of data gets accessed during these moves and it only seems to occur when the map is nearly maximized.  It may be a dojo issue, it may be a arcgis api issue, but it didnt seem to occur until a recent chrome update... 32.0.1700.76 m is my current... anyways thought it would be worth it to see if anyone else has seen this...  I'll admit my coding style is still 'legacy'... so maybe there is something there... either way... thanks for looking...

Jeff
0 Kudos
12 Replies
MarkRucker
New Contributor
I have the problem, but only on Google Maps, and only in Firefox, believe it or not. Plus I'm on an Apple, using OSX Mavericks. No issue with Safari. On this forum and everywhere else I've looked on global searches, looks like about 95% of those having this problem are using Chrome on a PC...?

Initially when first arriving to the page, the map is clean, normal. But once I try to slide it with the mouse button using the cursor to slide the map, it goes either mostly, or completely black. Sometimes remaining that way, and sometimes returning partly, or even totally back to normal. Every inch of the map, apart from the controls, is affected. Same by using the slider to navigate viewing distance of the ground from above.
0 Kudos
JasonGreenlaw
Occasional Contributor
I have also been noticing this issue for some time now (since early 2013), and in fact I submitted a bug report about a year ago which resulted in creation of "Bug NIM091638: The BorderContainer flashes white in Google Chrome when zooming out on a map".

The problem seems to be directly related to both the number of layers being displayed and the size of the map, i.e., it happens when I have 5+ layers added to the map and the browser maximized on a 24" display.  When I restore the window to a smaller size or overlay fewer layers, the problem does not occur.  I have been able to recreate the issue on the ArcGIS.com map viewer by adding 5 or 6 different services to the map.

I have found that removing an individual ContentPane from the BorderContainer and re-adding it, e.g.:
borderContainer.removeChild(contentPane);
borderContainer.addChild(contentPane);

results in that ContentPane not flickering (you can still see the basemap flash white, but it does not obscure the ContentPane).

ESRI has insisted that it is a bug with Chrome, which is certainly possible but unconfirmed.

Last year I recall setting navigationMode: 'classic' not fixing the issue, but I must have tested incorrectly because it now seems to resolve the problem after all, so thank you AMUSGSjvrabel for providing that workaround.
0 Kudos
bbieb
by
Occasional Contributor
I noticed flashing in Chrome when we upgraded from JS 2.5 to JS 3.9.  I concur with  greenlaw with the number of layers (4 in my case), maximized browser, and a 24" display were the variables that triggered the flashing.  I did check this morning using the "classic" navigationMode and that seemed to clear up the problem.  Thanks AMUSGSjvrabel for providing a workaround.
brian
0 Kudos