ArcGIS Javacript API and Google Map Mashup

Jump to solution
08-05-2015 07:10 PM
sivaprakash
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm facing a scenario to have google map  as an overlay layer along with other arcGIS feature and dynamic layer in esri javascript API but it should be in custom projected coordinate system. If anyone throw some light on it, it will be helpful.

FYI,

I'm able to overlay google maps over esri basemap (webmercator projection system) without any problems.

Advance thanks,

Siva

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

Siva,

Just to let you know, this violates Google's TOU for Google Maps.  Please give it a read, especially section starting at 10.1.  You cannot use a third party API (ArcGIS javascript) to make request to Google.  You cannot access the Google tiles directly without going through the google maps api.  Lastly, you cannot have google map embedded with a non-google map in the UI.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

Siva,

Just to let you know, this violates Google's TOU for Google Maps.  Please give it a read, especially section starting at 10.1.  You cannot use a third party API (ArcGIS javascript) to make request to Google.  You cannot access the Google tiles directly without going through the google maps api.  Lastly, you cannot have google map embedded with a non-google map in the UI.

JeffPace
MVP Alum

I am still not convinced of this.

"You cannot use a third party API (ArcGIS javascript) to make request to Google.  You cannot access the Google tiles directly without going through the google maps api. "

If you use the Google maps api in a javascript application, you are using there API.

"Lastly, you cannot have google map embedded with a non-google map in the UI."

I do not see this in the terms of service

0 Kudos
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

Jeff,

The first party, it's talking about other APIs.  If you use say ArcGIS javascript api, OpenLayers, Leaflet, etc and make calls to Google's direction or fetch their tiles directly, that's not allowed.  Basically because, Google's API expects a client key so they can track all the request being made.  (section 10.1 a).

The second part (10.4 D, E)  E section says "

1. No use of Content with a non-Google map. You must not use the Content in a Maps API Implementation that contains a non-Google map." 

The Map as a whole is still content.  I'm just pointing these out because in a previous work place, We had Google come out for consultation for a project and ended up practically going through an audit, as they pointed out all the different ways we were using their service in violation.  Because it's technically able to make a streetview widget for Flex, Web AppBuilder, App Studio, etc, does not mean it's legal to do so. 

Google Maps/Google Earth APIs Terms of Service  |  Google Maps APIs  |  Google Developers

0 Kudos
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

It's not even the slap on the wrist from Google that is difficult. Google didn't demand back pay and didn't shut down the sites.  The real killer was having to re mediate the violations when some of those have been integrated into the worker's workflow.  Imagine pulling a streeview widget from pre-field inspection application (made from a different mapping provider) with no alternative to provide.  Lots and lots of angry business workers.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

I thought I was using a workflow similar to this guidance, provided by google

RexHansen.com: Using Google Maps with ArcGIS Silverlight

keeping all attribution un-obscured.  No embedded applications, all web based, as dictated.

I do not use Googles directions, or fetch their tiles directly.  (there is one edge case that requires direct tile fetching, and i use v2 of the api for that, which allows it for limited use).

However i do believe i need to make so tweaks.  Thank you for bring this to my attention

0 Kudos