Announcing:   New Map Widget for ArcGIS, IBM iWidget Specification

02-04-2011 05:42 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
We are pleased to announce the release of both executable and source code for the Map Widget for ArcGIS.   This new code sample is a mapping component based on the ArcGIS API for JavaScript that adheres to IBM's iWidget Specification

The new Map Widget accomplishes two important milestones:  (1) Esri mapping technology and access to ArcGIS Online map content is now available to Java developers who subscribe to the IBM iWidget specification and/or use IBM development tools such as WebSphere Portal and Lotus Mashup Center.  And, (2), this Widget provides Java developers with a new extensibility pathway to the Esri JSAPI, opening up even greater GIS functionality to composite appdev.

This Widget allows you to add mapping and GIS analytical capabilities to composite applications.  This download includes an optimized compiled widget war file ready for deployment, user documentation, and license text.  This is the application download and intended for users of the Map Widget for ArcGIS as-is.  Developers can obtain the source code released under Open Source using the Apache License, Version 2 directly from ArcGIS Online.  

The Map Widget is also placed into and available at the IBM Widget library at IBM Lotus Greenhouse.

We appreciate giving this new Widget a try, and welcome any and all comments on use, applicability, your additional needs, etc.

thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Cool. Any links to sites using or is there a live demo somewhere?
0 Kudos
ErvyGalvez
New Contributor II
I'm not able to run the source code properly. Very complicated application. So many configuration to do.

Does anyone run the argismapviewer.war file correctly using the following:
1. Java EE Helios v.3.6.x
2. Apache Geronimo Server v2.1

or other apache server..
PLEASE HELP!
THANK YOU!..
0 Kudos
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III
Cool. Any links to sites using or is there a live demo somewhere?

Here is a quick demo of a simple scenario.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyKH-7mDaNY

Are there specific workflows you are interested in?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
EricBader
I'm not able to run the source code properly. Very complicated application. So many configuration to do.

or other apache server..
PLEASE HELP!
THANK YOU!..

Hi Ervy....what other server's have you tried? Any? We're looking into it....

Eric
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Thanks, Eric. Who is the target audience for this?
0 Kudos
EricBader
It is targeted toward Mashup and Websphere Portal developers and builders of enterprise apps.

How are you planning to use it?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
EricBader

or other apache server..
PLEASE HELP!
THANK YOU!..

Hi Ervy. You need to deploy, at the very minimum, an HTML page as well that will host the Widget. The war file as-is will not render itself.
Maybe this is what you have already tried?
0 Kudos
DanO_Neill
mirmo1209

or other apache server..
    PLEASE HELP!
    THANK YOU!..

What are you trying to do with the source code?  What do you mean by not being able to run it properly?  Are you able to import the source code into Eclipse?  From there you will not be able to run the application on an internal server as it is not intended to be run a as standard Java EE web application.  There should be very little configuration to do in order to get the application to run.  Which route you take depends on your motive for the application?  Once you have completed any changes/extensions/etc. to the code and confirmed that the code is ready for testing, you need to export out the project as a war file.  Now deploy the war file to the appropriate Java EE server.  Here is a list of some example deployment scenarios: 

1. IBM Mashup Server:  Use the Mashup Center wizards to deploy and start the application.  Add the iWidget to the Mashup Builder and create a new page.  Now drag and drop the iWidget to the page.

2. IBM Portal Server:  Once deployed to Mashup Center you can use Mashup Center wizards to deploy and add the iWidget to a remote portal server instance.  Open up your Portal Server instance and add the iWidget to a Portal Page. 

3. Standalone HTML Page:  Deploy the application to any web server, e.g. Apache, Geronimo, etc.  You can do this from within Eclipse if you like, but you cannot open the application up until you create pecan HTML template and add the iWidget in special tags for rendering in the HTML page.

Let me know if you continue to have issues with the source code as I can offer more specific instructions once I understand what you are trying to do.
0 Kudos
PhilipThompson
New Contributor II
Here is a quick demo of a simple scenario.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyKH-7mDaNY

Are there specific workflows you are interested in?

Thanks!

This looks great.

What I couldn't gather from the video was the correlation between the address in the data table to the address that the Map zoomed to. (From 2.10 onwards).

You didn't have to pick which column contained the address field and there was no indication as to whether there was some geocoding going on in the background. Is this sample bound to certain data / data formats / or just American addresses which it is smart enough to parse from the row?
0 Kudos