What is 'setDisableClientCaching'?

11-02-2010 07:30 PM
MichaelRollins
New Contributor
I have a hand created feature layer.  I pass in the json object to the constructor, and all seems to work well.  However, when I do certain things, like editing an existing graphic, I get this error (even though the edit goes through):  [object Object] has no method 'setDisableClientCaching'.

Does this have to do with the fact that my feature layer resides on the client or is it something else?  Is there a way to fix this?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanielYim
New Contributor II
http://help.arcgis.com/EN/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jsapi/arcgisdynamicmapservicelayer.htm

If you're using a dynamic map service, then the property disableClientCaching of rcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer might be what you should look into.

I'm new to ArcGIS and mapping in general, but I think if you want to edit a map through the API, you would want to disable local caching of data--you want your clients to always see recent versions.
0 Kudos
MichaelRollins
New Contributor
Thanks for the heads up, danyim.  Thing here is that I'm not using a dynamic map service.  I'm using a FeatureLayer and an OpenStreetMapLayer, neither of which inherit from a dynamic map service.  The error only occurs when I attempt to edit the features of the FeatureLayer programatically.  I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I'm editing things the wrong way, but I'm not sure how to approach editing the individual graphics other than calling graphic.setX.
0 Kudos