What event can I tap into to wait for the view to finish drawing after basemap toggle?

11-19-2019 01:24 PM
JackFairfield
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to wait for the view's basemap to update and finish drawing after a basemap toggle event.  Is there a good consistent way to wait for the complete rendering of the map before trying the screenshot?  I was thinking of watching the "updating" property on the basemap layerviews, but this seems cumbersome.  Also, if I have many feature layers, would I have to watch the "updating" property on all layers before safely using the take screenshot function?

Here is a JSBIN showing a quick example of what I am talking about.  Click the basemap toggle to see what I am referring to.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jack,

Just watch the views updating property

0 Kudos
JackFairfield
Occasional Contributor II

I've tried this and it seems to only work sometimes.

Here is a sample updated JSBIN

In this example, after toggling a few times, the screenshot is sometimes black.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

I downloaded and ran the app locally, and it seemed to work consistently. Perhaps there's some network or synchronicity issue at play.

0 Kudos
UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there, 

I am able to reproduce the issue you described. It appears that `view.updating` value changes several time during basemap swapping. So the `view.takeScreenshot()` is called several times and the images sometimes get returned out of order. I created an issue for this.

In meantime, please add a setTimeout before you call takeScreenshot and this will ensure you get the right image.

view.watch("updating", async (val) => {
  if (!val) {
    setTimeout(function(){
      view.takeScreenshot().then(function(screenshot){
        screenshotDiv.src = screenshot.dataUrl;
      });
    }, 500);
  }
 });

-Undral