Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there any book for ArcGIS javascript API 4.x?

05-17-2017 10:07 AM
FaisalMushtaq
Deactivated User

I searched on internet any good book related to ArcGIS javascript API.

Found one but perhaps that makes use of API version 3 which is quite different from version 4.

So I am wondering if there is any book available in market from Amazon or else where that targets version 4.x of ArcGIS javascript?

Please guide. Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RondaHilton
New Contributor

Apress is publishing a new book on this topic by Rubalcava.  It's supposed to come out on Dec 25, 2017.  

You can pre-order on Amazon for 34.99: Introducing ArcGIS API 4 for JavaScript

Update: now until Dec. 31 2017, apress.com has this book on sale 50% off.  The eBook version is $12.49, softcover $17.49

KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

You may also find the new Dev Labs helpful: Get Started with ArcGIS DevLabs | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Honored Contributor

There's a ton of videos on the JS API from UC/DevSummit also available on Youtube.

Esri Events - YouTube 

0 Kudos
GregoryBologna1
Deactivated User

This is not bad. ArcGIS for JavaScript developers by Example

ISBN 978-1-78588-866-3

NikhilSharmaGIS21
New Contributor

You will not get any book for the version 4 of the JS API as it is still new and lot of existing features are yet to be made for the 4.X series. You can go for the 3.X series book and the main concepts will still remain the same. Below is the link of the book which should help:

BOOK URL

0 Kudos
MichaelLev
Frequent Contributor

Currently, besides esri excellent documentation, tutorials and code examples, I know only of 2 books that are wholly dedicated to API version 4:

1. Introducing Arcgis API 4 for JavaScript: Turn Awesome Maps Into Awesome Apps, by Rene Rubalcava, from 2017

2. Learn GIS Programming with ArcGIS for Javascript API 4.x and ArcGIS Online, by Hussein Nasser, from 2018-2019, which instructs you step by step in building an engaging web map application, that works on mobile or the web.

My opinion is that both books are good. Their methodologies differ -  Rene's book is a general introduction, whilst Hussein's book focuses on taking you by hand, developing a whole 2D web application which runs on server in your pc (he presents IIS or Node, but you can use also simple http-server).

I found also that API version 4 is presented also in single chapter scope, at the end of next 2 books:

1. Chapter 10 (last chapter) of Getting to Know Web GIS - fourth edition, by Pinde Fu, from 2020

2. The appendix of Building Web and Mobile ArcGIS Server Applications with JavaScript - Second Edition, from 2017 

Michael