Backgrounds and Multiline Text Symbols

08-07-2013 10:43 AM
CameronMacNeil
New Contributor II
Hi folks,

I've been trying to figure out a good way for a while now to duplicate some behavior that I've got in a google maps environment using ArcGIS. I have a map which is populated with a bunch of points using PictureMarkerSymbols. Each of those points has an attribute containing HTML with a bit of extra information. When using google maps, we were populating an info box with that html and displaying it under the PictureMarkerSymbol. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this with this API. I've tried using TextSymbols by breaking up the HTML (splitting it on <br> and making a new TextSymbol for each line), but without a background for the TextSymbols, they're basically unreadable much of the time. I've also tried creating a div with the html, placing it under the PictureMarkerSymbol and adding event handlers to the map for drag and such to reposition it any time map movement occurs, but the box moves around blockily and isn't smooth at all. I don't think I can use InfoWindows since you normally only have one per layer and I can have multiple points which will need labels underneath.

I've been thinking about trying to extend and create a custom symbol, but I haven't seen any documentation or resources about how to do this against the JavaScript API.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
0 Replies