Report inside flex viewer..

09-22-2010 02:17 AM
NatashaManzuiga
Occasional Contributor
Hi all (Robert 🙂 )
I saw in this link http://gis.calhouncounty.org/flexviewer2.0/index.html?config=config-calhoun-classic.xml that Robert implemented a very powerful and nice report like tax report, taxes due, improvements..
How wish I could use the same system...is it a customised widget?
Thanks to all,

Natasha
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Naty,

The reports on my site use a custom asp.net webservice to return data based on a simple ppin (id) number that I pass it and the webservice returns the associated xml data that I parse and populate a 100% flex report predefined with labels, grids,etc. I could share snipets of code but the whole code is just to specific to my site. If you want to do something like this you will have to begin with building the .Net webservice to return data based on one simple variable passed to it.
0 Kudos
NatashaManzuiga
Occasional Contributor
Naty,

The reports on my site use a custom asp.net webservice to return data based on a simple ppin (id) number that I pass it and the webservice returns the associated xml data that I parse and populate a 100% flex report predefined with labels, grids,etc. I could share snipets of code but the whole code is just to specific to my site. If you want to do something like this you will have to begin with building the .Net webservice to return data based on one simple variable passed to it.

Robert, I already build a webservice to return an XML that I can parse, modify as I want...
Yes, it should be great if u can share me snipets of code....I can arrange it for my website 😉

Thank u so much Robert!

Naty
0 Kudos
GaryBushek
New Contributor III
Robert,
   This report interests me as well. I've done flex apps (with your help) using the 1.3 API and not within the scope of the sample flexviewer. Now i'm using the 2.1 API and trying to rebuild some stuff within the scope of their new flexviewer app. A few aspects that interest me are how you popup a box for the report, from the button on the widget. Previously I would've defined a canvas within the main mxml file but now thats all very rigid and just defining the mapmanager, uimanager, etc... Also, the formatting of the report is pretty sweet, is that strictly mxml code? Or is that some type of internal, non-flex frame content? And lastly, the speed is pretty fast retrieving the data, could you embellish a little on the asp.NET web service? Is it a geoprocessing task or some other type of spatial database query?

Thanks, Gary
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Naty,

Attached is the code for one of the easier reports (kind of), my tax bill. Having said that I looked at the code and started to make some comments in the code and got to thinking crap, I hope some beginner doesn�??t see this thread and think that they can jump right in and start using this code...

So let me Warn OTHERS right now that if you are a beginner in flex don't think you can take this code and ask me how to implement it if you don't have some ability to follow the code and have a clue what it is doing. This is not Plug and Play or even close...

Now that I am done with that.

The principle of this is pretty simple we have a widget (not in all it formality), that holds the bill which is just another canvas that has textAreas positioned at absolute values and having background colors, etc. The widget gets brought to life using a popupmanager from some button click and in its init function fires off a webservice request back to your .Net web service to get the data it needs and once it has the data it fills in the appropriate textAreas. In principle it is pretty simple. Hope you can make heads or tails of my code I did not make it pretty or comment it a bunch as I never really intended to share it. I did change some stuff in the code like the url of my web service and I also did not include and of the css or icons as this is just a code example of how you can make this work for you.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Gary,

A few aspects that interest me are how you popup a box for the report, from the button on the widget. Previously I would've defined a canvas within the main mxml file but now thats all very rigid and just defining the mapmanager, uimanager, etc... Also, the formatting of the report is pretty sweet, is that strictly mxml code? Or is that some type of internal, non-flex frame content? And lastly, the speed is pretty fast retrieving the data, could you embellish a little on the asp.NET web service? Is it a geoprocessing task or some other type of spatial database query?

The button is part of a custom data repeater that just lauches a canvas (seperate mxml component) from a popupmanager.

The formatting is 100% MXML, Styling, and ActionScript. It is not hard to use absolute postioning and just drag textAreas where you want them in design view.

The speed of reteiving that data is just limiting what data is transfered to the bare minimum. I'm really not going to go into much detail on the .Net web service other than to say it is a simple asp.Net web service that querys NON-spatial data and returns it as XML.

Hope this answers some things for you.
0 Kudos
CharlesHarris
New Contributor II
Did you use the ArcGIS Parcel Data Model for this on the backend?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Jeremy,

Nope. It is our own data structure.
0 Kudos
GaryBushek
New Contributor III
Gary,
Hope this answers some things for you.

Robert,
   Thanks for the info. I know it can get annoying when people ask for too much help or info so I appreciate the info. Im fairly new to Flex and what you've done with the report is pretty cool.

Thanks, Gary
0 Kudos