Parcel Notification Widget-will this work on Flex 2.1

10-04-2010 08:34 PM
JayDira
New Contributor
I found a Parcel Notification widget that was created in flex 1.3. Will this parcel notification widget work for Flex 2.1?
THanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi JR,

No, widgets that were built for the Sample Flex Viewer (v1.3) will not automatically work with the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex application. Depending on the widget functionality, migrating the widget may require additional programming, upgrading to the new ArcGIS API for Flex 2.1 spec, and at minimum be recompiled and built on the new Adobe Flex SDK 4 and Adobe Flash Player 10.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JayDira
New Contributor
Hi JR,

No, widgets that were built for the Sample Flex Viewer (v1.3) will not automatically work with the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex application. Depending on the widget functionality, migrating the widget may require additional programming, upgrading to the new ArcGIS API for Flex 2.1 spec, and at minimum be recompiled and built on the new Adobe Flex SDK 4 and Adobe Flash Player 10.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the reply. I have no programing experience. Is there a widgit that I can utilize to query parcel and export to a table?
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Occasional Contributor
I agree. That would be a wonderful thing.
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi JR,

... Is there a widget that I can utilize to query parcel and export to a table?

At this time, there is no core widget that does what you're looking for.

Can you please describe in more detail the desired functionality and workflow on what you want to do?

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JoshuaKalov
New Contributor III
Hi JR,

At this time, there is no core widget that does what you're looking for.

Can you please describe in more detail the desired functionality and workflow on what you want to do?

Hope this helps,

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but one of our big uses of the Search widget (and the flex application in general) in FlexViewer 1.3 involves searching parcels and buffering.  There are a couple of different workflows that seem important for us.  I have addressed most of them in flexviewer 1.3 by using a version of the Search + Buffer + Datagrid widget developed by Robert Scheitlin and Cory Hines in the old forum. An enhanced version of that ported to Viewer 2.1 would work well.  Maybe more out of the box support for printing the attributes/table.

Common Workflows:

1) Search for or click on a parcel, parcel attributes are shown.  The user sometimes would like to be able to print these attributes.

2) User selects a parcel, selects Buffer of 500 feet, buffer selects all parcels in the buffer, highlights the selected parcels and shows the buffer circle.  Selected Parcel attributes are displayed.  They can be also viewed in the Datagrid and exported out to a csv/xls.  (This is helpful for the "notify all homeowners within X distance from Y event.")

Parcel attributes and parcel buffering is probably 95% of our flex site usage right now.
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Thanks for the feedback and input Joshua. It helps us better understand our users' needs regarding the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex functionality.
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Occasional Contributor
Count me in on that wish!. that functionality/capability is what we need also for our planning,engineering and building codes depts.
0 Kudos
philippschnetzer
Occasional Contributor III
I have a question about porting this widget to the SFV2.1.  Before changing any namespace/spark coding I am able to resolve some errors by importing the swc1.3 library.  However this creates a duplicate component:

Remove the mapping to com.esri.ags.renderers.supportClasses:UniqueValueInfo or com.esri.ags.renderers:UniqueValueInfo

But I am unable to delete either of those from the library - the 'delete' option is not available.  I have a feeling that even if that worked several more errors would magically appear.

Is it even possible to reference two esri libraries at once? Or will this just create more problems in the end?  Any help on getting this widget into SFV2.1 is much appreciated!  Thanks!
0 Kudos
philippschnetzer
Occasional Contributor III
I have only one error left in my attempt to bring this widget into SFV2.1.  It resides in the AutoComplete.as file and is as follows:

1061: Call to a possibly undefined method setSelection through a reference with static type mx.core:ITextInput. AutoComplete.as /MunWH/src/myWidgets/ParcelNotificationWidget line 475 Flex Problem

PLEASE HELP!  If I get this working i will post the widget right away!
0 Kudos