Map Service Not Displaying In Sample Flex Viewer

04-13-2010 10:19 AM
TrilliumLevine
New Contributor
I'm having a very basic issue and cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is.  I am trying to display a dynamic map service hosted locally in the Flex Sample Viewer.  I have followed the correct protocol (adjusting extents and pasting the service url from my rest services page into config.xml, using a spatial reference of 4326 for the service).  There are no errors in the code that I can see.  When I run the application from Flex Builder, it loads the two standard basemaps from ESRI listed in config.xml at the extent I specified.  However, when I click on live maps, it lists my service with a check box next to it, but when I check it on and off, nothing happens.  I also do not see the arrow next to the service name that you can usually expand to see the layers in the service.  I have tested the service itself (ie. viewing it in JavaScript from the service's rest page), and there seems to be no problem with it.  My guess is that there's something going on in the Flex Project (which is unmodified outside of the aforementioned edits to config.xml) causing the problems...has anyone else experienced similar issues?  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
Try using a tool like the Firefox Add-on HttpFox to see what the requests and responses are when you run your app and look for any requests that are failing or returning errors.
0 Kudos
TrilliumLevine
New Contributor
hmmm, ok...thanks for the tip.  will give that a whirl.

Try using a tool like the Firefox Add-on HttpFox to see what the requests and responses are when you run your app and look for any requests that are failing or returning errors.
0 Kudos
JoshThomas
New Contributor II
tlevine,

I'm having similar issues with the sample flex viewer as you described.  I have dynamic map services published to my local server.  I can consume the local services, and ArcGIS Online services, in my Javascript apps built with the Server Mangager wizard.  I can sucessfully do mashups this way.

I can't get my local services or ArcGIS Onine services to display in the sample flex viewer.  Our problems are very similar.  When I run the SFV, I get ActionScript errors.  I think it may have something to do with proxy settings.  The only way I could get any of the pre-loaded live maps to display, was by disabling the proxy settings in the ProxyServer.config file in Flash Builder.  Other than that, I've made no changes to the SFV code.  I am probably making the same simple changes to the config.xml file that you are.

I would love to share experiences with you so we can try to solve this problem.  Please send me any successes you may have had and I will try to do the same.

Thanks,
Josh
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos