Flexviewer and a Flex Sidebar

11-24-2011 02:34 AM
PeterPuck
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I would like to know how a specific layout is archived. But I don't know where to start or how the FlexViewer is compatible/supporting my idea.

What I would like to do:

First a link:
http://maps.simcoe.ca/TourismMap/?EXTENT=-9105618.500165684,-8598688.128578639,5403819.282035605,565...

I would like to setup / program an application which also has such an fine sidebar 🙂 However, I think that the FlexViewer widgets are bound to be on of the Map, is this right? So I would have to code my own index.mxml ? Is it possible to attach widgets "into" such an sidebar, instead of opening them on top of the viewer? Which controls should I look for?

I could post more questions, but maybe you see, I'm seeking for a bit of orientation...

Any hint is appreciated!

Greets & Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Drew
by
Occasional Contributor III
Peter,

The Flex viewer you link is custom and is not the typical ESRI Flex Viewer.
It uses the Flex API, but not the ESRI Viewer.

If you wanted to use the default Flex Viewer, you might want to change the layout type. That might give you what you need.
<widgetcontainer layout="left">
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/flexviewer/help/index.html#/Widget_Container_tag/01m30000000300000...

I know this post is a little late, but I thought I would answer it.

Drew
0 Kudos
PeterPuck
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply.

This is my solution ( based on the ESRI Flex viewer 😞

Create a "sidebar" widget with custom skin.  I've also made it that the sidebar widget can load subwidgets - in fact it's just an widget placed into the sidebar as a child of the tab control. 

It needs several lines of new code here and there, but in the end it can be managed without much trouble.
0 Kudos
JohnLucotch
New Contributor III
I'm new to the Flex API.  Do you have any example of loading subwidgets?
0 Kudos
PeterPuck
New Contributor
Well, it's not THAT easy. And also the cutomization is for commercial use, so posting source here isn't an option ( Of course I would do that...).

Basically I started by creating a custom WidgetTemplateSkin ( that one is used for the subwidgets ), a custom ConfigManager and WidgetManager ( to configure and load the subwidgets from the widgets config - so you get the same comfort as with the main config ).

Then I created a widget without an templateSkin and place it to the left or the right above the map ( or the map is moved to left/right). I attach to resize event, so that the container get's resized when the window resized.... I'm adding subwidgets via addChild() Flash/Flex method.
0 Kudos