Select to view content in your preferred language

Flex Site Navigation/Launch Page

05-19-2011 03:33 AM
andrewj_ca
Frequent Contributor
Fellow coders,

I was looking for some feedback on my site navigation page.  Once I get some feedback I'll post the code if anybody is interested.  Cheers, 

http://home.cogeco.ca/~mcnaughty79/Navigation/

mcnaughty79
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DonCaviness
Occasional Contributor
First thing I got when I went to the site i got the attached error.  As far at the Google Routing widget, I would suggest having the map zoom to the extent of the route.  Also, as a user I would like the ability to click on a portion of the route and have the map zoom to that segment.  Also, it might be a good idea to have some type of marker that designates the starting and finishing locations. 

Those are just some of the things as a user I would like from a routing widget.  I hope this helps you out.  I would be interested in the code for these widgets if you are willing to share.  Thanks, Don
0 Kudos
andrewj_ca
Frequent Contributor
Thanks Don,

While I appreciate the comments, which have already been implemented, I was interested in getting comments on the Launch Site itself and not the sites it points to.  Thanks again.

Andrew
0 Kudos
DonCaviness
Occasional Contributor
The error that I mentioned earlier appears on the Launch Site.  I as a user do not like having to double click on the images to navigate the site.  Also, the if i had a choice between just a simple image or the having the slider bar, i would choose the simple image.  Although the slider bar is a good idea, it needs some enhancing, maybe with a new skin or something.  Just my thoughts.
0 Kudos
JustinRobinson
Deactivated User
Hi Andrew,

I'm getting that same error on load:

RangeError: Index '0' specified is out of bounds.
 at mx.collections::ListCollectionView/getItemAt()
 at mx.collections::ListCollectionView/http://www.adobe.com/2006/actionscript/flash/proxy::getProperty()
 at index/doShelfselect()
 at index/displayUpdateComplete()
 at index/__shelf_updateComplete()
 at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
 at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
 at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()
 at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()
 at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiationCallback()

Aside from that, interesting implementation, I imagine it would look more slick with further projects.

One improvement that I could see is maybe moving the slider bar to the top, as currently it obstructs the reflection. On the picky side the images themselves don't "pinch" in on the short side, instead just are shortened and clipped by the mask, although I imagine it's more difficult to scale only one side of an image.
0 Kudos
andrewj_ca
Frequent Contributor
When does this error occur? Flash Version? I can't duplicate it. Making it hard to troubleshoot.
0 Kudos
DonCaviness
Occasional Contributor
That error occurs as soon as the Site Navigation page loads.  I am using Flash Player 10,2,159,1 debugger version.  I use the debugger version for all of my development work.  It helps to catch any errors and it helps to troubleshoot my projects.
0 Kudos
andrewj_ca
Frequent Contributor
That may have done it.  Give it a try nowand thanks.
0 Kudos
DonCaviness
Occasional Contributor
You have fixed the error.
0 Kudos
KomanDiabate
Deactivated User
Andrew: It looks great!!!!
We have a splash page used to access different modules for various departments. I will be very much interested in how to implement this. Wondering if you can post the code?
Thanks.
0 Kudos