Select to view content in your preferred language

Code Gallery

09-30-2010 06:31 AM
SimonMorgan
Regular Contributor
Would be possible to set the code gallery so that it could be sorted by dateadded/last modified and also to be able to subscribe to see when new code is added/modified?

Thanks,

Simon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SusanMordy1
New Contributor II
Also, it appears that the code gallery is also an user application gallery as well...
0 Kudos
KomanDiabate
New Contributor III
Will be nice if ESRI can set it up like it used to be in the 1.x version
0 Kudos
NickHetrick
Occasional Contributor II
I have been having issues viewing the code gallery when using IE7 as well. I also like the old setup mainly because it takes forever to find posted widgets
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Would be possible to set the code gallery so that it could be sorted by dateadded/last modified and also to be able to subscribe to see when new code is added/modified?

Thanks,

Simon

The galleries on the ArcGIS Resource Center, like this one here for Geoprocessing, allows you to sort the list by the original submission date, or by the date the entries were last modified.   Also, the RSS icon toward the upper right allows you to subscribe to the gallery so that when items are added or updated you would be notified.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2914[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor II
Hi Jim,
If I go to the Flex API page for example, and click on the Code Gallery tab, no filter options show up.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/flex/index.html
Code Gallery tab goes here
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/flex/gallery.html

If I go to the Code Gallery for the JavaScript API, I do get filters
http://help.arcgis.com/EN/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/gallery.html

I haven't gone through all Code Gallery pages, but some have filters and some don't(Silverlight API).

It's odd when navigating.
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
Better yet, I'd really like to see the Code Gallery actually contain CODE!  Whatever happened with that?  In the previous resources set up, the code gallery contained example of source code so that users could see how a particular functionality was written.  Instead it seems to have become another place where people can post their finished projects.  To complicate matters, it seems that things that were posted originally at arcgis.com (with or without the code to go along) have made their way into the Code Gallery.  I was all set to complain that people were using this Code Gallery incorrectly and then noticed that my own application (which I'd posted as a Web App) shows up there.  I certainly didn't post it as a code example, because I didn't include the source code when I made my entry. 

I think the new pages are forums are very unclear about the best place to post code and the best way to access it.  I took advantage of all the samples in the previous forum and I really miss being able to readily get to the code!
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
To complicate matters, it seems that things that were posted originally at arcgis.com (with or without the code to go along) have made their way into the Code Gallery.  I was all set to complain that people were using this Code Gallery incorrectly and then noticed that my own application (which I'd posted as a Web App) shows up there.  I certainly didn't post it as a code example, because I didn't include the source code when I made my entry. 

I think the new pages are forums are very unclear about the best place to post code and the best way to access it.  I took advantage of all the samples in the previous forum and I really miss being able to readily get to the code!

In the end, ArcGIS Online (ie, the "My Content" tab on ArcGIS.com) is the place to share web and mobile apps and code.   The galleries that are in the ArcGIS Resource Center for the web and mobile APIs are nothing more than a filtered display view of apps and code shared on ArcGIS Online.  It's just a view.

For example, the ArcGIS API for Flex Resource Center has a Code Gallery, which is a filtered display view of shared content on ArcGIS Online.   If you're on one of these web or mobile API galleries and want to add something, the link toward the upper-right "Upload your app" is going to refer you to instructions on how to share what you have on ArcGIS Online.

Some of the Galleries on the Resource Centers are still using their own storage and display mechanism (like Geoprocessing, ArcObjects .NET, Java, etc.).   Once ArcGIS Online can handle that kind of content, those will be deprecated.   What we're trying to move toward is to make ArcGIS Online be the one place to share things, create groups, control access to your maps, apps, and data, and so on.

I'd really like to see the Code Gallery actually contain CODE!  Whatever  happened with that?  In the previous resources set up, the code gallery  contained example of source code so that users could see how a  particular functionality was written. Instead it seems to have become another place where people can post their finished projects.

It all depends on what folks choose to share.  With web and mobile apps, it could be a Ready To Use app, a Configurable app, or a Code Sample (see attached screen shot).   The first two may or may not have the code along with it.  Owner's choice.
0 Kudos