Select to view content in your preferred language

How long I can learn Flex API on average?

11-22-2010 12:10 PM
LeiZhou
New Contributor III
I have finished learning Flex.  But when I study Esri Flex API using Flex Builder, I still feel there are a lot I don't know.  I have a task to finish using flex API, if I study 8 hours each day, usually how long does an average person take to use flex API to create some new flex application for web map?  Thank you very much! Any experience or advise will help me a lot!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I have finished learning Flex.  But when I study Esri Flex API using Flex Builder, I still feel there are a lot I don't know.  I have a task to finish using flex API, if I study 8 hours each day, usually how long does an average person take to use flex API to create some new flex application for web map?  Thank you very much! Any experience or advise will help me a lot!

I actually started by digging into the FLEX samples and only looked at Adobe FLEX help and examples as I needed to frame in around it.  I didn't have much programming experience and I spent about 400 hrs over 6-7 months before I got my first app up and running.  Depending on how plain or fancy you want to get it could be more or less time.  I'd suggest working specifically through the basic samples that are posted on the ESRI site.  Each of those examples really only do one or two things.  This is good since you don't have too many lines of code to deal with.  Since they are rather basic,  I didn't find it too difficult to copy functions etc into a new file and get my code to do just one more thing.

The applications I've dealt with use quite a few query tasks, data grids and the use of listeners on graphic layers.  Query tasks have several examples, but I had to dig around to find examples of the interaction of the ESRI attributes with the datagrid.
0 Kudos