Select to view content in your preferred language

2.4 PopUp scrollbar bug

08-04-2011 03:59 PM
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
A bug has been found in the 2.4 release where if you have many fields shown and the scrollbar appears in the PopUp, it only works the first time the PopUp opens. The second time it opens, only the title is shown. The field area is blank. The fix for this is in the attached PopUpRendererSkin.

Here's more information about how to use "custom" skins:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/flex/help/index.html#/Styling_and_skinning_overview/017p0000001s000...
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
PierreLarondelle
Regular Contributor
The easiest way I found to workaround the issue is to use Robert's Enhanced widgets. It's working very well with a few customizing to bring it to your needs. Yes it needs to rewrite some XML's but it's worth it, imho.

I can't wait a bunch of weeks for the next release of the viewer for just a recompiling with the corrected code if I understand well. I'm lonely working on building / developing a small city GIS from scratch and every minutes counts. Nonetheless, if developpers succeed in convincing my direction to gently wait for me 'till 2.5 is released, they're welcome ! 😉

I will need to begin to approach Flex environment as gaining a bit of independence in the future will be a must.

Have a nice day, All.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Honored Contributor
Which one are you working with that works like the popups?  If I can't get this problem fixed, this is enough that I can't use the app and will have to use my 2.3.1 version only.  Problem is that I like some of the new features.  It's a shame that Esri can't seem to write their own software and have to resort to power users like Robert to fix their problems.  Thanks Robert for all you do for the Flex community!

By the way, I have copied the code you put above and still no dice.  I think I am ready to just use a different widget and stop using the popups as clearly they aren't usable.  I even looked into decreasing the number of fields I use but it is the way the table comes to me from the county so it would be a huge hassle to pare down the fields everytime I got an update.  However, I would note that the county is working on transitioning to the Orion system so it may look different after that conversion.  Haven't had any updates since June 30, so I have no idea what it will look like.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Josh,

There is no issue/bug with the popups besides the one that Dasa has posted about that should be preventing you from using the popups. Many users and I are successfully using the popups without code changes, just xml configuration. Your issue with not getting the popups to work at all has to be something simple that you are missing. The next step in diagnosing this is for you to post your whole main config.xml and your whole popups/PopUp_???.xml files. Probably best to zip them up and post them. The API team does a great job with this software and listens to the users as far as improving and adding features we are looking for, but what software company fixes a bug the next day or week based a small issue that only limits one small aspect of there overall software usability?...
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Honored Contributor
I'm going to have to disagree with you.  Not having the ability to "identify" with popups either using the new popups or the SimpleInfoWidget of past releases is a MAJOR problem for me and no I cannot use it due to the bug.  I shouldn't have to fight with xml just to get it to do something very simple that it is supposed to do.  I already posted the xml files on here and even copied and pasted your example directly and still it did not work.  The main config file is not the problem because it worked just fine at 2.3.1 and when I switch back to the popups without the description, it works just fine (albeit with the bug). I will go ahead and post these but I really don't see how it will help as I have already posted them in the past.  Part of this has to do with the number of fields I am using, but like I said in the previous post there really is no way around this, I need the popup to display this many fields.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the PopUp_parcels_description  is incomplete in the description area as I am just trying to make sure it works before I do all of that typing.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
There's an extra space in this line:
<![CDATA [Parcel ID: {OwnershipRecords.PID} <br>

It should be:
<![CDATA[Parcel ID: {OwnershipRecords.PID} <br>
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Honored Contributor
Thanks Dasa, finally got it to work.  Its funny how one space or missing bracket can mess the whole thing up.  One other question.  Apparently the description also honors carriage returns as the <br> tag added an extra space.  Does anyone know a way to make it do single space, the carriage return still leaves it as double space, although this is not a huge problem, it would help the overall size of the popup. Now, that I have that space gone, I think (other than the typing, formatting) I actually like this better as there is more control over how it displays.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
jamesdiaz
Deactivated User
<p> worked for me

Thanks Dasa, finally got it to work.  Its funny how one space or missing bracket can mess the whole thing up.  One other question.  Apparently the description also honors carriage returns as the <br> tag added an extra space.  Does anyone know a way to make it do single space, the carriage return still leaves it as double space, although this is not a huge problem, it would help the overall size of the popup. Now, that I have that space gone, I think (other than the typing, formatting) I actually like this better as there is more control over how it displays.
0 Kudos
JayBoyd
Deactivated User
Thanks Dasa,

I had not yet worked with custom skins before so it took a little while to understand how to apply what was described in the API documentation to the viewer. Once I put the the new skin file in the com.esri.viewer\skins folder and the reference in the defaults.css file the fix worked great.

Thank you,
Jay
0 Kudos
SubramanianSwaminathan
Occasional Contributor
Adding to what Jay said:

Once you copy the PopUpRenderSkin.mxml into the com.esri.viewer.skins folder

add the following to the defaults.css file in  src->default package

esri|PopUpRenderer
{
skinClass:ClassReference("com.esri.viewer.skins.PopUpRendererSkin")
}

compile the project and run

Subu

Thanks Dasa,

I had not yet worked with custom skins before so it took a little while to understand how to apply what was described in the API documentation to the viewer. Once I put the the new skin file in the com.esri.viewer\skins folder and the reference in the defaults.css file the fix worked great.

Thank you,
Jay
0 Kudos
AriIsaak1
Occasional Contributor
Has anyone figured out the extra space issue when using the description workaround? doitjd1 mentioned a <p> tag. Can you go into a bit more detail on this? <p> on every line or what.

I agree the popup shouldn't have been integrated into the release if it didn't function right. Then again set datasources in ArcCatalog finally works at 10. I think it was integrated in 8.2.
0 Kudos