Nearest line feature from a point

11-17-2015 03:17 AM
VikasRanga
New Contributor

In the image given below, solid lines are showing as road elements and points are showing as data collected for those road segments. I want to update road element id to the points shapefile. "Near" tool of ArcMap has almost solved this problem except for the points lying in red region (marked in the image) which is obvious as per the algorithm of this tool. In this red region, "Near" tool updates the id of BE road element but I want to update the id of AB and BC road elements respectively because those points belong to AB and BC road elements. Any help about concept to solve this problem or any specific tool which can solve this problem, will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So I assume that a Spatial Join doesn't work Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

And you don't want to dissolve/combine the segments together?

0 Kudos
VikasRanga
New Contributor

Thanks for the answer, Dan.

Yes, Spatial Join will not work in this case. I was using the brother tool of Spatial Join i.e. "Near" tool what seems to be the best for such problems, but it is not meeting the requirements in a red region (what I am showing in the image attached with question).

As I want to update the points with road element ids, so it will not make sense to dissolve the segments.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos