Siting new health clinics with the ArcGIS API for Python

12-22-2017 11:54 AM
DavidJohnson5
Esri Contributor
0 0 1,503

Among the best resources for learning the ArcGIS API for Python are the sample notebooks at the developers website. A new sample notebook is now available that demonstrates how to perform a network analysis to find the best locations for new health clinics for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients in California. To access the sample, click on the image at the top of this post.

I originally developed this notebook for a presentation that my colleague Pat Dolan and I gave at the Esri Health and Human Services GIS Users conference in Redlands, California in October. Although network analysis is available in many of Esri's offerings, we chose the Jupyter Notebook, an open-sourced browser-based coding environment, to show the attendees how they could document and share research methodology and results using the ArcGIS API for Python.  This sample notebook provides a brief introduction to network analysis and walks you through our methodology for siting new clinics, including accessing the analysis data, configuring and performing analyses, and displaying the results in maps.