Map description not working?

Jump to solution
04-28-2023 09:28 AM
LefterisKoumis
Occasional Contributor III

Hello @MNIT-Kitty-Hurley @KellyHutchins  I turned on the Windows 11 narrator and I access the site at:

https://kellyhutchins.github.io/DevSummit2023-A11y/demos/MapDescription.html

but all I hear is the chrome version and that the zoom tool is present and not the map desciption which is

"The map summarizes the count, and rates, of accidental deaths in each state."

Am I messing something or it is not working with the win 11 narrator?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KittyHurley
Esri Contributor

@LefterisKoumis Unfortunately Narrator doesn't support the aria-describedby attribute when the element is not an alert or input text, so its a limitation of the tool. Supporting information on the attribute can be found on a11ysupport.io.

However, the aria-describedby attribute is supported with JAWS and NVDA (free) on Windows, with partial support on MacOS' VoiceOver.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KittyHurley
Esri Contributor

@LefterisKoumis Unfortunately Narrator doesn't support the aria-describedby attribute when the element is not an alert or input text, so its a limitation of the tool. Supporting information on the attribute can be found on a11ysupport.io.

However, the aria-describedby attribute is supported with JAWS and NVDA (free) on Windows, with partial support on MacOS' VoiceOver.

LefterisKoumis

Hello @KittyHurley I installed NVDA on my desktop and I  access the Map Description app. Unfortunately, there was no voice narration.

0 Kudos
KittyHurley
Esri Contributor

The map description is read when the map element is in focus, either when the element is clicked or accessed via the "tab" key and focused. Was able to hear the description when the map is in focus in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers with NVDA.

After enabling a screen reader, it is recommended to launch a new browser window or refresh the page. If still encountering issues with the map description, could be related to an operating system, browser, or NVDA update.

0 Kudos
LefterisKoumis

You are correct. You have the restart the browser after you start the screen reader. Novice mistake. Thank you @KittyHurley 

0 Kudos