ERROR 001566: when trying to Clip

03-16-2019 02:36 PM
RyoTakahashi
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

When I tried to clip raster with several polygon shape files, I observed that some shape files worked, while some gave me an error (Error 001566). The error message indicates that input polygon may not be within raster layer. However, by checking the map, the failed polygon layer is inside of raster layer, so it seems just fine.

What makes me confuse is that some input polygon worked just fine. I don't see any difference between the worked polygon and failed polygon.

When I checked the error 001566 from following link, it may be due to overwrite error.

001566: Service overwrite error: failed to delete the service.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

However, I'm not deleting or overwriting any files, just generating new file by clipping.

And it doesn't make sense because some input polygon files are working.

When I searched the solution, I found the following link.

Error 000229 when trying to Clip 

Although the error number is different, it may be causing the same error.

One person responded that it worked by turning off background processing.

However, since I'm using ArcGIS Pro, there is no option to change the setting of background processing.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to solve this issue with ArcGIS pro (now, I'm regretting to switch to pro).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The error is either a mis-direct or in error.

I suspect that the extent of the raster and the shapefile are not in the same coordinate system.

'Looking at...', don't judge overlap on the map since 'projection-on-the-fly (POF)' can make things appear that they overlap but they are in totally different coordinate systems and the bounding numbers don't overlap.  Unless a tool or function does the projection automatically, then assume they don't.

The best practice is to make sure everything is in the exact same coordinate system and that the extent of the analysis is specified in the tool's environments (raster and otherwise).

RyoTakahashi
New Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions.

But, I'm using the same coordinate system for raster and the shape file.

I also tried to use GDB featureclasses for clipping but the results are the same.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to install ArcMap on same computer?

This might need to be your GIS setup until ArcPro is equivalent to ArcMap with its base functionality.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Check the extents in both then (through the layer properties) to make sure they overlap.  Overlapping on screen may not be relevant if the Environment analysis Extent or the layer extents don't overlap

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree, definitely check the geoprocessing environments to make sure extent is set to maximum of inputs. Also make sure the shapefile you are clipping covers more than a single cell.

0 Kudos
JeremyFreund1
New Contributor II

I also had the exact same problem and went through the steps Dan Patterson mentioned to no avail. I checked the coordinate systems (identical) and extents (they overlap) but continued to get the error. The clip feature was previously in a feature dataset (yes, with the same projection as the raster) within a FGDB and the only thing that worked for me was to export to a feature class in the root of the FGDB (i.e. not within a feature dataset). I'm not sure what the problem was, but I can say that I've had many issues with clipping rasters by polygons and in my last interaction with ESRI tech support, the analyst told me "feature datasets are not intended to be used as folders." This was pretty much news to me, and seems a bit fishy as almost every GIS user I know uses feature datasets to organize their data within a FGDB. In this case it "fixed" the error. Unfortunately, if you're experiencing an error like this or any other error involving coordinate systems, try removing all inputs from feature datasets and either placing them at the root of the FGDB or exporting to shapefile(s).

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Feature datasets were never intended as data/file management containers. Yes, many many organizations use them as such but that was never the intention from a design standpoint.

It seems to me that the work around you describe of moving your clip feature class out of the feature dataset is an example of the problems that can arise when a feature dataset is used for something other than toplologies, networks etc....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeremyFreund1
New Contributor II

Yes, correct. However, I would not say that ESRI has done a very good job of emphasizing that feature datasets are not intended to be used as folders if that is in fact the case. From the "An Overview of Working With Feature Datasets" page: http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/feature-datasets/an-overview-of-working-with-fe...

"In some data sharing situations, collaborating organizations might agree on a data sharing schema for sharing datasets with other users. In these situations, people might use feature datasets as folders to organize collections of simple feature classes for sharing with others."

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's news to me.  I've always avoided them unless for what I mentioned above.  I'd rather have multiple file geodatabases than feature datasets to organize data....

That should just about do it....