Select to view content in your preferred language

Rendering a rock shelter for archaeology - how to?

11-04-2011 06:52 PM
ScottSprague
New Contributor
I'm using 3d Analyst as part of an archaeology project.  We're excavating a rock shelter - think of it as a shallow cave.  It is a relatively small area, so the maps will be at about 1:50 scale.

I've used a Total Station and basic survey equipment to obtain multiple X, Y, and Z values for the area.

Unfortunately I'm unable to figure out how to deal with the fact that there is an overhang.  That is - I have XYZ data for the floor of the interior of the shelter (shallow cave), the roof of the shelter, and the ground surface above the shelter - but there's no way for me to designate which is which - so I end up with a jagged and incorrect interpolation of the points.

Any ideas here...?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ScottSprague
New Contributor
Sure!

Here's a photo I found online of a similar rock shelter.  This one is in New Jersey, I'm in Colorado.

The one we're working on was inhabited long ago by early Indians.  There are all kinds of artifacts in the area - flakes indicating tool manufacturing, points, cores, etc.  As such, we've done excavation under the overhang.  My problem is in showing the excavation - in the ground - under the overhang.  The "Z" data gets confused.

I have regular access to the site, and I can easily figure out which points are on the surface, which are on the interior roof, and which are on the overhead surface - it would be no problem to add another column to the attribute table for this.

But - then what?  Is it possible to do a - for lack of a better term - negative contour?
0 Kudos
ScottSprague
New Contributor
Here, maybe this will help.  I've made a quick diagram using MSPaint.  (Don't laugh, it works...)

This is a sketched cross-section of the rock shelter.  I have data points I surveyed - they have x, y, and z data.  (Figure 1.)

When I try to make them into a TIN - "TIN Management - Create TIN" - it takes the points and creates triangles using the most logical method, resulting in a surface like figure 2.

I need it to create a surface like figure 3.  But is that "reverse contour" even possible?

0 Kudos