Select to view content in your preferred language

Draping rasters in arcscene 10 not working right

11-01-2011 12:20 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: baidarkabob

Hi,

I am attempting to drape a raster over a DEM in ArcScene 10. If I add the raster and do not change anything but pointing to the DEM for base heights it works ok, but if I change anything, like the symbology, or the display quality, or the base height resolution, the raster no longer displays correctly. Sometimes it looks like the cell size of the raster is displaying as an order of magnitude coarser than the original data (attached) sometimes the raster just quits displaying. Undoing the steps does not put things back to rights either.

Any ideas?

bob
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you modifying the raster resolution when specifying the base heights?  Does this happen with all the rasters or just this combination?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: baidarkabob

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply.

The issue will occur if I change the raster resolution in the base heights area but it is not necessary to modify these values in order to reproduce the problem. Almost any modification past choosing the elevation data to float the raster on causes the weirdness.

I uploaded a map package with the DEM and the raster to my arcgis account but I do not know what to do to share it with you. Where at arcgis online can I find something like "share a link to this package"?

b
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you make the modification to the layer, save the scene and then close ArcScene and re open it, will the behavior return?  I have seen many instances due to ArcScene's dependence on memory for the symbology to be off as you make edits, but then closing and reopening will return the look desired.  In this case, I recommend increasing the virtual memory on your system, being sure to always run ArcScene on the main monitor if you have two monitors and also look into updating the video card driver/video card. 

Can you indicate what video card you are using? Also how much RAM you have?
0 Kudos