Select to view content in your preferred language

No output - "Extrude Between" two TIN surfaces generated from two 3D polygons

07-23-2010 12:15 AM
OengusLam
Deactivated User
I tried to make use of the "Extrude Between" tool to create multipatch feature using two TIN surfaces, which were generated from two 3D polygons. Unfortunately, there was no output after executing this function. My settings are listed as follows:

Input TIN: Upper Surface TIN (i.e. generated from 3D Polygon)
Input TIN: Lower Surface TIN (i.e. generated from 3D Polygon)
Input Feature Class: 3D Polygon (i.e. same extent as the above TIN models)

Nevertheless, when I tried to use 3D points (i.e. vertices of the 3D Polygon) in generating upper and lower surface TIN models, the "Extrude Between" tool was successful to generate a multipatch feature.  :confused:

I would like to ask why the first scenario would lead to failure in generating multipatch feature....

Thanks for your answers.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor
Were you able to figure this out?
I have been getting similar results. Extrude between almost never works for me. When it works it's usually with very simple TIN surfaces. I don't think i have ever made it work with TIN surfaces generated from a raster or other like conversions.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi there,

Could both of you contact Esri Technical Support?  If you're outside the US, please contact your local Esri distributor.  We would like to get samples of the data you are having a problem with.  I've run that tool successfully many times, so a sample dataset that can repro the issue will go a long way to helping us resolve the problem you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Eric
0 Kudos
BrettRosso
Occasional Contributor
Did anything come of this thread? I am having similar issues as Eric is having. This is my first time using the extrude between tool so I definitely could be doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Brett Rosso
GIS Technician
City of Longmont, Colorado
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Per the attached blog, I would recommend being sure that your two TINs and the polygon are not identical.  I have found that so long as you have some difference between them. For your purposes, I would use the buffer tool to create a slightly smaller or larger polygon to give it something to cut against. Also depending on the polygon, you might consider making the polygon 2d for the clipping purpose.
0 Kudos