Select to view content in your preferred language

Migration from Esri Forums to Geonet

Jump to solution
07-08-2014 01:53 AM
NicolaiSteinø
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

having used the Esri Forums on CityEngine extensively, I am rather confused about where the content of the different CityEngine sub-forums have gone after the migration to Geonet.

Would you kindly provide some sort of guide or overview as to how to find this content in the new structure, as well as to how/where to put new questions?

Still confused about the logic of Geonet, my best bet is that everything is now in the GIS > 3D space (if this is a space at all). But the the old structure provided a more fine-masked sorting, such as First Steps, Shape Grammars, Python, etc. Have these distinctions been maintained, and how?

Regards,

Nic

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
FrankGarofalo
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Sukhvir,

You can find your posts at: /people/SukhRehal/content

0 Kudos
SukhvirRehal
New Contributor III

Thanks guys,

appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor II

Hi, due to living in a different time zone, I am not able to attend such meetings.

But the missing categories make it impossible to do efficient and structured work here. I don't have time to filter through thousands of threads that may be related to '3d'.

The usability so far is a huge step back. Everybody everywhere used Forums. Why reinvent the wheel ?

m.

LaurenYee
Occasional Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't like this new design either, very unfocused.

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Mathias,

All CityEngine content should receive the cityengine tag and end up in the 3D Space.  As long as folks use that tag you're golden.

You've actually got it easy

Stuart

0 Kudos
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II

I totally agree, not to mention that sorting the content just by tags created by so many different people can be a total mess.

To give you and example, this morning I had problems filtering CityEngine content since there is "cityengine" and "city engine" tags, and if the tags get case sensitive which might as well be the case then the whole confusion gets to the next level. 

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Nick, *,

And so it is handy, here is the schema  used in migrating the existing CityEngine threads into the 3D Space, and also the tag's each subject received.

CityEngine - CGA Shape Grammar3DCityEngine, CGA Shape Grammar
CityEngine - General Discussion3DCityEngine
CityEngine - GeoDesign Workflows3DCityEngine, GeoDesign
CityEngine - Import/Export3DCityEngine, Import/Export
CityEngine - Installation and First Steps3DCityEngine, Install, Configure
CityEngine - Python Scripting3DPython
CityEngine R&D3DCityEngine, 3D
CityEngine SDK3DCityEngine, SDK
CityEngine WebViewer3DCityEngine, WebViewer

Keeping those combinations of tags handy should help keep things focused.  What comes later will be the ability for moderators and MVP to adjust the tags.

Stuart

LaurenYee
Occasional Contributor

Just seems like a lot more work for the moderator to keep up with. As well allows the user to input incorrect tags.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Lauren,

Yes, it will. However the Stack Exchange model of tightly moderated tag approval can also be cumbersome and frustrating to users trying to submit their questions.

The Jive (v7) host that Esri chose to use has a VERY liberal tag creation and management--it just swallows it all and indexes the tags.The more popular tags in each "place" are listed first.  Over time the tag use stabilizes. You can see that manifested by using the "browse by tags" during query or when submitting to discussions.

Personally though, I'd like to see some aspect of tag generation tightened up now at launch, rather than having to clean things up going forward.

Stuart