Line of Sight Feature Creation

Jump to solution
03-29-2021 11:38 PM
TonyBianchi
New Contributor

Greetings, I am getting familiar with 3D analyst and ArcScene (currently on 10.7). I’m trying to work through adding in the new building polygons and aircraft tail heights to incorporate as part of the line of sight analysis for possible view obstructions at our airport. I created a Z-enabled .gdb w/ polygon feature class, but I am having difficulty creating the structures in 3D.

The available tutorials found thus far have not provided the assistance needed. Can anyone provide a link or guidance on some good step by step instructions to building 3D polys in ArcScene and to run line of sight analysis for view obstructions? I have existing lidar coverage but unfortunately it does not have the structures included to run the quick point-to-point tool so I am looking to create/add features and then run line of sight.

My thanks in advance for any knowledge or feedback that could be provided.

Thanks for reading this far!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please check if the following workflows help you.

Extruding features by an attribute value (Use appropriate expression)

Line of Sight 

Creating Line of Sight (Interactive)

Here is a list of Visibility Tools for you to determine if any other tools suits your workflow.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please check if the following workflows help you.

Extruding features by an attribute value (Use appropriate expression)

Line of Sight 

Creating Line of Sight (Interactive)

Here is a list of Visibility Tools for you to determine if any other tools suits your workflow.

Think Location
TonyBianchi
New Contributor

Thank you so much! The Extruding feature and the Sight Line Construction under the Visibility tools were exactly what I needed to get the model built and analysis run.

Thanks again for the assist! 

0 Kudos
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Hey Tony,

does that work in Combination of Extrusion and the sight lines?

I have got the same issue. 

Thanks in advance! 

Greets, 

Andrea

0 Kudos
TonyBianchi
New Contributor

Hi Andrea:

Yes, once I was able to work out the extrusion values in the layer properties I was able to get the line of sight visualization and view penetrations identified. It took some experimenting on my end. I created a .gdb for my various 3D structures with a field for 'height' that I populated. For me that included a control tower eye-level height, plane tail heights and various taxiway line of sight points set 10' above ground level.

You can use the 'Extrusion' tab in layer properties in ArcScene where I set the extrusion value to the created 'height' field value and ran the Line of sight tool. With the links provided by Jayanta it pointed me in the right direction. Good luck!

0 Kudos