Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer 3d to Feature Class results in flat output layer

Jump to solution
05-13-2014 03:13 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dmede

I'm attempting a  relatively straight forward process, creating a 3d multipatch feature class from an extruded 2d feature class via the 'Layer 3d to Feature Class' tool. However all my new multipatch layers are flat.

The input is a simple building foot print layer in UTM Zone 11. I'm using properties to extrude the footprints to 30m meters. Then using Layer 3d to Feature Class to create a new 3d layer of the footprints. The tool runs without error but the output is flat, the extruded shapes are not retained.

The tool help is no help.

Any idea what the issue may be?

Extruded 2d:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33793[/ATTACH]

New Multipatch layer:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33794[/ATTACH]
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidMedeiros
Frequent Contributor
Solved!

Layer 3d to Feature Class works ok if Background Processing is turned off.

You're welcome Esri!

Side note to other users: background processing is the source of a large number of issues in ArcGIS, it's a good tip to always try a broken feature with it off. Just took me a while to remember that this time.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor
This is almost certainly a bug!  I get the same result with a simple single feature.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dmede

Thanks for posting, I'm sure you're right.  I was going to run the same test in a bit, with a single new feature rather than an imported footprint layer.

I'm on 10.2.1 so I can only hope this was addressed in 10.2.2. I'll upgrade and retry.

I can't think of any other product that costs as much as ArcGIS and fails as often, but is still regarded as 'functional' and not beta.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
Frequent Contributor
Installed 10.2.2, no change. Layer 3d to Feature Class does not work as intended.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
Frequent Contributor
Solved!

You're welcome Esri!

Side note to other users: background processing is the source of a large number of issues in ArcGIS, it's a good tip to always try a broken feature with it off. Just took me a while to remember that this time.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jakubsisak

Solved!

You're welcome Esri!

Good to know!  i posted this on GIS SE and someone also suggested to turn off background processing but also that this is a known bug that was fixed in 10.2.2.  Apparently not!  Good work bro!

With 10.2 being the most buggy and hands-down the worst release ever and with ArcGIS Pro so far completely unusable for serious production (maybe 5 - 10 years away? and not much hope unless a great re-design effort is put into it) I don't know where this whole upgrade path is going.  The UC presentations sure made it look good but hands-on reveals a path to hell rather then the cloud.
0 Kudos