Select to view content in your preferred language

High precision terrain

03-02-2012 06:39 AM
gugumerabishvili
New Contributor
Hi
I had a data of X,Y and Z coordinates (points). I created TIN using that date. But the problem is that it does not look good. I need to create high precision terrain with smoother angles (also for 3D view). Can you help me?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12394[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12395[/ATTACH]
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Gaya6337

Hi,

To get a smooth surface convert the TIN to a raster via the 'TIN to Raster' geoprocessing tool in ArcToolbox > 3D Analyst Tools > Conversion > From TIN toolset.

-Gayu
0 Kudos
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
Hi
I had a data of X,Y and Z coordinates (points). I created TIN using that date. But the problem is that it does not look good. I need to create high precision terrain with smoother angles (also for 3D view). Can you help me?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12394[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12395[/ATTACH]

As Gayu suggested, you can create a raster from TIN to get smoother surface. However, if you want a smoother TIN, you can convert (smoother) raster to a TIN. You can use the input point feature to create a smooth surface using the interpolation tools. Once you get a smooth surface from your points, convert the raster into TIN. You can use the optional parameter Z_Tolerance to set the maximum allowable difference in (z units) between the height of the input raster and the height of the output TIN. Here's how Raster to TIN works.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jevans02

Since you have point data I would avoid producing a TIN entirely and use the Spatial Analyst > Interpolation > Topo to Raster tool. This interpolation methods in an implementation of the ANUDEM model that uses an IFD adaptive splines. It is intended to produce hydrologically correct DEM's and is very robust.
0 Kudos
gugumerabishvili
New Contributor
I have another question maybe someone can help me. I have (X,Y,Z) data shape file (the one shown above) and scanned drawings of stones each stone for each point. I need to draw the shape of those stones on top of the points and then copy them on 2D and 3D surfaces (shown above) I hope you understand what I need:)
0 Kudos