Select to view content in your preferred language

Having issue with setting Base Elevations in contours.

Jump to solution
03-09-2012 10:28 AM
JonathanHarris
New Contributor II
I am trying to create a TIN from NED data. Here is the process I have used so far. I downloaded a segment of the NED from the USGS seamless server and pulled it into ArcMap. Using spatial analyst, I was able to create a contour file utilizing 1m intervals and a z factor of 1. The contour is created without issues. When I bring the contour into ArcScene 10, It shows up as 2D. When I go into the Base Heights Tab, I'm choosing "USE a constant value or expression" and selecting "[Contour]" in the expression builder. When I press OK, the contour disappears from the scene. If I click zoom to layer all I see is a thin string of vertical dots in the center of my screen. What am I missing.

I also tried setting the base heights from the original NED surface.

The file is in GCS_North_American_1983, which is the same as the source NED.
I am using the evaluation version of 3D and Spatial analyst. Version 10
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Try projecting your data using a projected coordinate system.  With the data in a Geographic Coordinate System, it is not being read very well.  You may also be able to calculate a vertical exageration from the scene properties (View > Scene Properties) to get the data to view.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Try projecting your data using a projected coordinate system.  With the data in a Geographic Coordinate System, it is not being read very well.  You may also be able to calculate a vertical exageration from the scene properties (View > Scene Properties) to get the data to view.
0 Kudos
TarunJaiswal
Esri Contributor
Here is a link to a Knowledge Base Technical Article addressing this issue.

ArcScene layers display as vertical lines

Hope it helps.

Tarun
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jonharis

Thank you guys. That fixed it. I used the Vertical Exaggeration workaround.
0 Kudos
PatrickQuintard
New Contributor
I used the Vertical Exaggeration workaround.
0 Kudos