Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I create an elevation raster from a vector points file in ArcScene

Jump to solution
03-09-2012 09:05 AM
DouglasSharp
New Contributor
I used the IDW raster interpolation tool in the Raster Interpolation toolset in 3D Analyst Tools to create a raster surface from a set of points in ArcScene, but the resultant raster displays as a flat plain.

I tried setting the base height to the layer itself, but it remains flat.

How do I get the interpolated surface to display in 3D according to the field I used to create it?

Thanks

Doug Sharp
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
If you are not seeing your raster in 3D after setting the base height to itself, then you might want to adjust the Vertical Exaggeration.  This will exaggerate the elevation for areas where the difference cannot be seen very well.

The Vertical Exaggeration can be found from the Scene Properties (View > Scene Properties).  You can manually set this value or calculate from extent.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
If you are not seeing your raster in 3D after setting the base height to itself, then you might want to adjust the Vertical Exaggeration.  This will exaggerate the elevation for areas where the difference cannot be seen very well.

The Vertical Exaggeration can be found from the Scene Properties (View > Scene Properties).  You can manually set this value or calculate from extent.
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

Please see this link for reference,

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Setting_a_raster_layer_s_base_heights_...

Also try to right click the Scene layers on the table of contents > select Scene Properties > General tab> Click Calculate From Extent for the Vertical Exaggeration.Hit ok.

_Gayu
0 Kudos
PatrickQuintard
New Contributor
You can manually set this value or calculate from extent
0 Kudos