Extract Multipatch from Mesh (3D Analyst) Tool

Jump to solution
06-30-2021 08:05 AM
JulieKutz
New Contributor II

I used the Extract Multipatch from Mesh tool with my city-wide mesh & footprint of an about 140 acre area, and I put the output multipatch in a gdb. However, the multipatch is not textured. Is the tool supposed to keep materials or is there another step to this that I am missing? I would like to extract out textured areas from the mesh into multipatches so I can work with parts of the mesh outside of Pro. I don't have an image to apply to the multipatch texture editing tool, I only have the mesh slpk.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Julie,

Just came across the same issue here. We have been using the tool regularly to extract smaller areas (individual sites) with great success. I just tried a much larger area yesterday and it came out untextured. I reduced my boundary and it worked ok. I haven't had a chance to go back and see if this problem occurs at a particular size.

I think as a workaround you could extract smaller areas, then merge them into a single feature class (if required).

The Clip tool in Pro 2.8 can also directly clip SLPK files out to another SLPK file. Maybe try that first, then use the Extract Multipatch from Mesh tool?

When you say you are using the mesh outside Pro, do you mean in other Esri products or software like SketchUp, Blender etc.?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Julie,

Just came across the same issue here. We have been using the tool regularly to extract smaller areas (individual sites) with great success. I just tried a much larger area yesterday and it came out untextured. I reduced my boundary and it worked ok. I haven't had a chance to go back and see if this problem occurs at a particular size.

I think as a workaround you could extract smaller areas, then merge them into a single feature class (if required).

The Clip tool in Pro 2.8 can also directly clip SLPK files out to another SLPK file. Maybe try that first, then use the Extract Multipatch from Mesh tool?

When you say you are using the mesh outside Pro, do you mean in other Esri products or software like SketchUp, Blender etc.?

0 Kudos
JulieKutz
New Contributor II

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response. That was it! I split up another footprint into pieces and it worked with the smaller areas - almost 62 acres each. 

I mean both Esri and outside, so CityEngine and Unity/Unreal Engine. I have obj files but wanted seamless placement across what I want to develop so I found this tool which should make things easier.

0 Kudos