Select to view content in your preferred language

3D Simple Lines Symbolized as Pipes

08-25-2010 07:27 AM
LarryJahn
Frequent Contributor
:confused:

Using ArcGIS 10

I have a simple z-enabled line which I am trying to symbolize in ArcScene as a pipe.  Initially, the 3D line was a file geodatabase feature class.  When added and symbolized in ArcScene, the pipe appeared elliptical and not circular.  I was also unable to select the pipe utilizing the selection tool.

I then converted the file geodatabase feature class to a shapefile, and the pipe symbolized correctly (round) - I was also able to select it.

I also converted the file geodatabase feature class to a personal geodatabase feature class, and the pipe symbolized correctly - again, I was able to select it.

Are file geodatabase feature classes not compatible with ArcScene yet?  Has anyone else had this problem?

Shapefile & Personal Geodatabase Feature Class

File Geodatabase Feature Class
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Larry,

File Geodatabase should behave the same in ArcScene.  Would you be willing to contact Esri Technical Support to report it and give us a sample dataset to repro?

I created 3d lines in FGDB and as Shapefile.  The tube is the exact same and both are selectable for me.  Are you using 3d simple line symbol with style set to tube?  Maybe we are not doing the same thing.

Eric
0 Kudos
LarryJahn
Frequent Contributor
Eric:

Yes, I am using 3d simple line symbol with style set to tube.  Not sure what's happening here, but now I am getting the elliptical result with my personal geodatabase line feature class as well.  Could it be a setting I have, video card, etc?

My co-worker submitted a sample dataset for repro this morning to ESRI Technical Support.  I guess I was hoping to see if this issue was/is happening to others as well in hopes of a quick resolution.

Regards.
0 Kudos
LarryJahn
Frequent Contributor
I had the same issue happen again today in a completely new ArcScene document.  The suspect feature class was created by the "Data-->Export Data" process. 
[INDENT]I selected the line(s) I wanted to add to the feature class and exported to another independent, existing geodatabase. [/INDENT]

The issue was resolved by doing the following:

1.  Create a completely new line feature class (z-enabled) in ArcCatalog
2.  Copy/paste the selected lines into the new feature class.

:confused:
0 Kudos
myname
by
Deactivated User

You can use tube symbol for 3D pineline symbol

Here's clip for you:  3D pineline in ArcGIS/ArcScene - YouTube 

0 Kudos
IramBaqri
New Contributor

Sadly, the video no longer exists 😞

0 Kudos