Select to view content in your preferred language

Export Polygon or Polyline from Tin

02-10-2011 04:21 PM
BeakHyungi
New Contributor
Hi,

I want to export Polygon or Polyline at regular height intervals from Tin.
Please, give me your advice.

Thank you.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor
Hello Beak,

Polygon or polyline information can be obtained from the TIN dataset using tools like TIN Edge and TIN Triangle available in ArcToolbox > 3D Analyst Tools > Conversion > From TIN toolset. If you have ArcInfo, you can use these tools to process the entire TIN, then use the Create Fishnet tool to generate a polygon dataset that defines the clip regions, and finally use the Split tool with the fishnet feature.

If an ArcInfo license is not available, you can still use the fishnet feature with the Clip tool, but make iterative selections of each fishnet feature to extract the tiles.

Another approach is to run the conversion tools multiple times with the desired extent defined in the Output Extent argument of the Environment Settings.
0 Kudos
BeakHyungi
New Contributor
Thank you.
I tried your solution of conversion tool. But I couldn`t find exatly where I can input the height interval in the Environmental Settings.
I think that way can solve my problem.
Could you elaborate a bit?
0 Kudos
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor
There is no automated method for incrementing the specified environment setting, so you may wish to consider writing a Python script that contains a nested loop to handle the extent tiling. For example, if your TIN's extent covers 1 km squared, and you have slices that divide it into 10 by 10, you can have a nested loop where the min x, min y, max x, and max y values are passed iteratively starting from the first block of 10 by 10 extent, and adding onto the extent values from there.
0 Kudos