Combing LiDAR data with 3D models

03-09-2021 01:01 PM
CaseySteffen
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm new to arcGIS and trying to prototype a demo. I've gotten so far as to import my LiDAR dataset and export out a Scene Viewer....which is great. seriously. 

The simple version of the prototype would be to combine a LiDAR dataset with a 3D models....possibly import from 3dsmax or create the 3D model inside arcGIS Pro....I'm just not certain if or how. The functionality doesn't seem to be self evident...so I'm wondering if its possible. Ideally, the points inside the 3D model could be tagged by color, but that's a "nice to have" feature for right now. 

Anybody have a solution I could try?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Is your lidar dataset already classified into ground, building, vegetation etc points? If not try the LAS Dataset toolset in 3D Analyst, once classified you can colour them by type - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/3d-analyst/an-overview-of-the-las-dataset-to... 

Once you have classified building points you can create building footprints and 3d multipatches. See the 3D Basemaps solution: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/reference/use-3d-basemaps.htm 

To import 3D files (including 3DSMax) start with the Import 3D Files tool. You may need to locate the models in the correct real world position after importing them: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/3d-analyst/import-3d-files.htm 

0 Kudos
CaseySteffen
New Contributor II

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. The Lidar is already classified. I'm going to investigate building footprints later. I did manage to get the 3D model imported.

I got stuck trying to "locate" the imported 3D model to the correct real-world location and move it to the position of the Lidar data. I'm used to seeing coordinate position in the GUI, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I searched tools for both "locate, translate, and rotate but didn't come up with anything that would move the 3D model. I'm getting the sense that the "tools" menu is where all the magic hides....I'm starting to see things for volume intersections which is the next stage of the prototype.

Any suggestions? Thanks 

0 Kudos
CaseySteffen
New Contributor II

found it. I can translate in xy space, still working out how to translate it vertically in z space. 

The main issue I'm having is that the LiDAR data disappears when I zoom out after. Relocating project to a local drive instead of a network folder. 

I think my plan is to create a screenshot of the LiDAR dataset from a top down view, export out a collada model of the correctly positioned 3D model, then re-model the 3D object in 3dsmax and reimport the finalized 3D model to the correct position. Is that the general workflow that you follow?

0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

If you already have Collada files and they import ok, then you shouldn't need to remodel them.

Option 1 - Here is a recent ArcGIS blog post about locating Revit files (but should work for other files as well) using the georeferencing tools: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/3d-gis/geolocating-revit-files-in-arcgis-pro/ 

Option 2 - Use the editing tools in Pro to manually move, rotate and scale the model into position.

Option 3 (My preferred method, much more accurate, really helps if you have a known from point in model coords and the corresponding to point in real world coords) -

Import your model into file gdb multipatch using the Import 3D Files tool. Check the extents of the multipatch in the Properties under Source->Extent. Most Collada files will be around 0,0,0. Your from points in the next step should be using coordinates around here.

Move the multipatch in x,y using the Transform Features tool. Needs a link feature class with from, to polylines. It doesn't matter if you don't have 3 from\to coord sets, just put some offsets in, for example: 0,0 to x,y; 10,0 to x+10,y; 0,10 to x,y+10. If you need to do any scaling (feet to metres etc.) you can do that here - just need to work out correct values to use.

Shift the model up or down in z using the Adjust 3D Z tool.

If required use Define Projection to set the appropriate coordinate system. I have found sometimes that the extents of the shifted model are not correct - you can use the Recalculate Feature Class Extent tool to fix this.

0 Kudos