ASCII (XYZ) to LAS

08-11-2011 01:40 AM
KlausB__Vestergaard
New Contributor III
Thank you for implementing LAS Dataset and the new toolbar.

Since the new tools only supports LAS files, I need a tool to convert ASCII to LAS, so large ascii files containing xyz can be handled in a efficiant manner?

When I Google "ASCII to LAS" I get some very interesting hits, but I'm unsure where to start ....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
KlausB__Vestergaard
New Contributor III
Hi Clayton!

I've submitted an enhancement request on NIM076439  "Need a tool to convert xyz point data to LAS format."

I also posted my idea "Ability to convert xyz point data to LAS format" on:
[https://c.na1.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=08730000000bt5qAAA[/URL]

The matter has become more urgent the last few months, so is there anything you can do to push on the inside of Esri?

Do you have return numbers, class codes, intensity values, etc., that you need access to? What do you intend to do with your lidar data? Going to LAS may not be your best option.
0 Kudos
KlausB__Vestergaard
New Contributor III
Hi Xander!

Thanks for your reply, meanwhile I've submitted an enhancement request on NIM076439  "Need a tool to convert xyz point data to LAS format."

I also posted my idea "Ability to convert xyz point data to LAS format" on:
[https://c.na1.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=08730000000bt5qAAA[/URL]

Please cast your vote ;o)

I really think that implementing "LAS Dataset" in 10.1 needs to be complimented with a easy to use conversion tool.

There are several websites that provide LAS files. I have tested ArcScene 10.1 beta with some of the LAS files located at http://liblas.org/samples/.

LAS file "2398_400.las" contains RGB values.

Alternatively, you could use software to convert your text files to LAS. I have installed LP360 (30 day evaluation) and it can convert text files (like PTS) to LAS. Make sure to choose LAS version 1.2 in LP360 to enable RGB.

Good luck!
0 Kudos
AntonLarsson
New Contributor II

I got LiDAR-data from a guy that said it was ascii. file-format says .cenz. Anybody heard of .cenz? when i open the file in texteditor: Class x y z

in txt

How can i make a pointcloud out of this?

regards,

Anton

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The suggestions mentioned above (using LAStools to convert the ASCII data to LAS) are still valid. Have you tried that?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

And if you download LasTools these days, it comes with a bunch of Arc style Toolbox tools.

Very good tool set.

0 Kudos
AntonLarsson
New Contributor II

If i try txt2las it says invalid filetype. I manage to make shape-points of it by adding the data into excel and then export as csv and the create points from XY. Then i tried to run shp2las but always when i try to use LasTools i get error. Could that be a licence issue?

/ Anton 

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

The toolset is free as far as i know.

Are the files still names *.cenz?

Try changing the extension to txt

0 Kudos
AntonLarsson
New Contributor II

I did try and still got error using txt2las. I will redownload LasTools and try again. I did also try using FME xyz point cloud -> LAS did go through but nothing showing. 

0 Kudos
AntonLarsson
New Contributor II

It´s also very big amounts of data so i did try everything with just a few points. Didn´t work.

0 Kudos
AntonLarsson
New Contributor II

I did try the new update of LasTools and i didn't work. As you can see above i have 4 columns: Class x y z. Could that be the problem? when i try FME the program only reads the first 3 columns and it doesn't work. I have lots of rows so it's not possible to import in excel an delete the first column either. Any ideas what i could try next? I have also tried to make a shapefile with points and then transform to LAS in FME, didn't work. In txt2Las i tried to change the phrase string to cxyz, c=classification.

The files i got was in an unknown format to me, .cenz. How did you mean i should make it a .txt instead? I did copy the data in to a txt-file. Maybe that's a problem?

Thanks for your time,

Anton

0 Kudos