Profile Graph x axis error in Pro

02-14-2018 01:22 PM
LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

I have a simple line feature class with z values.  There are 20 lines that are each 56 meters in length.   The z values were generated using the Interpolate Shape tool within 3d analyst toolbox. 

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1, I am creating  Profile Graphs of each of the 20 lines.  In these graphs, the x axis for every line extends to over 80 meters.  At first I thought the horizontal distance might be inclusive of the terrain, but regardless of the terrain (z value) complexity, the horizontal distance does not vary. 

If I create a profile graph in ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 with the exact same data set, the x axis distance for all profile graphs is consistently set to what I would expect - 56 meters - which ignores variability of the terrain, but at least doesn't consistently add 20+ meters.

Can anyone help?  What am I missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And you have gone through the 'Properties' option for the axes to see if you can set more than the unit? I don't have one to test, but I would assume that you should be able to set the distance start/stop for the x axis as well

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/geoprocessing/charts/profile-graph.htm

0 Kudos
LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Thank you - on the chart properties I only see the ability to change the display units of the axes. 

Data are in meters, coordinate system WGS_1984 UTM Zone 17N. 

The 3d lines were interpolated from a Digital Elevation Model also in WGS_1984 UTM Zone 17N

Update - problem solved.....exported the data out of the gdb to a shapefile.  Using ArcMap 3D analyst profile graphs

I found that for each line, there was an extra segment that had somehow snapped back on itself.  Pretty sure the Profile Graph in Pro showed me this overlapping arc as a continuation of the line - not sure why....  Thank you for responding to my original post.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

strange... looks like it snaps back on the midpoint.  and if you look at the graphs closely, there is a straight line segment within the profile.

0 Kudos