Multipatch to Collada Crash

Jump to solution
01-18-2015 10:28 AM
ElizabethStewart
New Contributor II

Hi all

I'm trying to use the Multipatch to Collada tool but every time I use it in ArcScene, the whole program crashes and shuts itself down. Anyone experienced this before and know how to resolve it?

Many thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElizabethStewart
New Contributor II

Hi Micah

I spoke to ESRI and after a long discussion, we have come up with a solution in the last few days. It is not a 3D extruded polygon but a footprint. It will do what I need it to do and it may work for what you need so here are the steps:

1. You need a TIN base map. If you have a raster file, use the Raster to TIN conversion tool.

2. You need a polygon but make sure that the geometry is valid otherwise it will not work! Use the Repair Geometry or redraw the polygon if so.

3. Use the Interpolate Polygon to Multipatch tool, with your TIN and polygon as your data. This will create the footprint to fit to the topography.

4. Use the Multipatch to Collada conversion tool and it should complete. You should then be able to import it succesfully into Sketchup and the like.

Hope that helps!

Lizzie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jean-PierreDEBOOS1
Esri Contributor

Hi,

try to run script in background.

JP

0 Kudos
ElizabethStewart
New Contributor II

Thanks for the idea, but the program still crashed and shut down. I tried this code on the website with my own data inputted:

arcpy.MultipatchToCollada_conversion("Sample.gdb/Buildings", "C:/COLLADA",

"PREPEND_SOURCE_NAME", "BldName")

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

@Lizzie Stewart...Did you ever get an answer to this question or a work-around?

I am in the same situation.

0 Kudos
ElizabethStewart
New Contributor II

Hi Micah

I spoke to ESRI and after a long discussion, we have come up with a solution in the last few days. It is not a 3D extruded polygon but a footprint. It will do what I need it to do and it may work for what you need so here are the steps:

1. You need a TIN base map. If you have a raster file, use the Raster to TIN conversion tool.

2. You need a polygon but make sure that the geometry is valid otherwise it will not work! Use the Repair Geometry or redraw the polygon if so.

3. Use the Interpolate Polygon to Multipatch tool, with your TIN and polygon as your data. This will create the footprint to fit to the topography.

4. Use the Multipatch to Collada conversion tool and it should complete. You should then be able to import it succesfully into Sketchup and the like.

Hope that helps!

Lizzie

0 Kudos
ElizabethStewart
New Contributor II

^^I find that the process is smoother in ArcMap but I think it will also work in ArcScene

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks!..It works.  I was able to export the footprints as COLLADA files.

The only downfall is that the "interpolate polygon to multipatch " tool didn't keep the extrusion...only the footprint, but its a start. I can always extrude it in sketchup. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MoatazElmasry
New Contributor II

Hi All,

We had encountered this issue here in EsriNeA and found a way to fix it.

Just use "Enclose Multipatch" tool to repair the multipatch before the the "Multipatch to Collada" tool.

Hope this helps you.

Moataz