Select to view content in your preferred language

Make mouse click pass through 3D Object to select 3D Object behind it in Web Scene

05-24-2024 01:40 PM
py4wildlife
New Contributor III

Hello,

I created a web scene that contains a building as a 3D Object. The scene has trees 🌳🌲 that were made from symbology in ArcGIS Pro, then converted from a Feature Class to 3D Object, then shared on ArcGIS Online. Even with popups disabled, the mouse still recognizes the trees as clickable objects (as expected). The user cannot click on the building with the trees turned on. We like the trees because they are close to the species, size, and shape of the real world trees and reproduce how the building is situated amongst vegetation.

Further, turning on Edges in the layer's symbology shows the true extent of branches, so there are also invisible barriers that are not apparent and obstruct the building's clickability.

Is it possible to edit a JSON file for either the layer itself or the scene in ArcGIS Assistant to have the mouse ignore the Tree layer? There doesn't appear to be code inside of the JSON files already pointing to mouse options.

I attached some screen grabs. One shows the true 3D extent of a Ficus. The other shows the ideal scenario, where trees are ignored and the building can be selected through the trees. Transparency is off and edges are turned on for demo.

Thank you.

Z. Smith, Ph.D.
GIS Analyst
0 Kudos
2 Replies
harotpa
New Contributor

if you do this, how do you get a reference to the actual object you clicked on? I haven't seen any way to do that using input_event.

0 Kudos
py4wildlife
New Contributor III

Hi haropta,

I am referring to entering code into the JSON data file using ArcGIS Assistant (beta). Working with that is much less flexible or customizable and beyond that becomes a lot more dedicated to ArcGIS Developer, which I do not use. Application code is hidden.

Fundamentally, I think a mouseClick event has to be implemented at the application level, and not the JSON data file so it likely not possible without it being an added option by Esri for Web Scenes.

ArcGIS Assistant (beta) gives increased access to the data file of a feature service, web scene, and web apps, but not a scene service where 3D data exists and not application code in online code editor.

This could be a useful feature for Esri to add to ArcGIS Online web scene layers. Was wondering if I missed something for a simple tweak to make the pass-through of Trees happen, nonetheless.

Z. Smith, Ph.D.
GIS Analyst
0 Kudos