Create a line feature from two geopoint collection

08-06-2020 09:42 AM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor II

Hello all, 

I think there was a demo during UC or maybe on this page that shows how line/polygon features can be created by the collection of multiple geopoint questions. Can anyone show me where I can find the information? or share some tips?

I'd like to create a survey that asks users to enter origin/destination points of the flight route, and then creates a line representing the flight path based on two input points.

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Kerry Kang

There is a sample in ArcGIS Survey123 Connect called Lines and Polygons. If you hit create new survey > Samples > the Lines and Polygons sample will be located there. In that sample the last section goes through how lines and polygon features can be created from repeated points. 

If you are only interested in the line or polygon feature you can make your geopoint with a bind:esri:fieldType set to null that way the point geometry will not be stored in a feature service. 

Thank you, 

Zach 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
KerryKang

Hello Zachary Sutherby

I found the sample form and published it after modifying for my use case. However, the survey is hanging while creating a line feature. I removed 'null' from esri field type for both point in the repeat and line because I wanted to capture them as geometry. If I submit while the map is hanging, all other information and points are passed to feature layer, but line feature is not there. I am not sure if I missed anything in the setting part or somewhere else.

I am using Survey123 connect 3.10, and using it on the web browser (the survey needs to be embedded in experience builder, so no other choice).

Any advice?

K

P.S. I just did a testing with a mobile phone and it worked fine.. so this functionality would not work for web forms? Is there any work-around?

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Kerry,

That's right, the ability to sum repeated geopoints (to construct line or polygon geometry) is only available in the field app.

Brett

KerryKang

Hi Brett, Thanks for confirming. Do you think sum repeated geopoints will be introduced in web form sometime soon? 

Cheers, 

K

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Kerry,

I don't think this functionality will be available in the web appfor quite some time. I'd encourage you to submit an enhancement request via support.esri.com. You will be given an official enhancement number and similar requests from other customers can then be added. This adds weight to the request and enables us to assess the demand for the enhancement and prioritize development efforts accordingly.

Regards,

Brett

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I wanted to check if the functionality to create a line from 2 geopoints exists in the web form now since it years later or if continues to only be available in the field app.

I would similarly like to use survey123 and Experience Builder where folks can input coordinates for a start and end point, and a resulting line is created by Survey123 on the map in Experience Builder.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Kathy