Construct Polygons from .dwg polylines

Jump to solution
06-13-2019 03:27 PM
GregoryKim
New Contributor II

When using the Construct Polygons tool in ArcGIS Pro, I am not able to select the .dwg polylines so I can generate the polygon.  I am following the instructions found here:  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/construct-polygons-from-features.htm.

I also have a question about line 3 of the instructions. 

Click Active Select Active Select and select the polyline features from which you want to create the new polygon features. The features must be on the same layer.

What does it mean when it states "The features must be on the same layer."  Does that mean I cannot select polylines from a .dwg to create into a feature class?

When I try to select the polyline.  It flashes, but does not get selected.  Video is attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryKim
New Contributor II

The Construct Polygons tool in ArcGIS Pro v2.5 has been fixed.  Thank you Scott and ESRI team.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

does the similar process work in ArcMap?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gregory,

You will need to convert the DWG to a feature class.  You will then be able to select the polylines in the feature class and construct a polygon.

0 Kudos
GregoryKim
New Contributor II

@Bill - Yes, the Construct Polygons tool in ArcMap works without issues and with native dwg polylines.

Jake, thanks for the reply.  Our current workflow requires editing in AutoCAD.  So I will have to export the polylines to a feature class and then select the object in the feature class to create a polygon?

Do you know if this is documented somewhere?  This is not the case with ArcMap.

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Looks like this workflow has not been implemented within ArcGIS Pro, yet.

GregoryKim
New Contributor II

So, I exported the dwg polyline from AutoCAD to a shape file, added it to my project, ran the construct polygon tool and it worked without errors.  

@ESRI, please add the ability to select AutoCAD polylines in ArcGIS Pro and run the construct polygon tool.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

did that retain the true curves?

0 Kudos
GregoryKim
New Contributor II

Bill, Although I have never had a problem of the conversion keeping its true shape, you had me curious, so I did a little test.

The black lines are from AutoCAD.  The red line is from a shape file, exported from the dwg.  The orange circle/polygon is from a geodatabase feature class after running the Construct Polygons from ArcGIS Pro on the shape file polylines.  Everything looks pretty good.

Best Regards,

Greg

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Yeah, but I think Bill knew the answer when he asked the question?

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/shapefiles/geoprocessing-considerations-for-s...

I guess it would depend whether they're true curves in the original data.  Definitely worth being aware of shapefile limitations.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for reporting this. We plan on fixing this for ArcGIS Pro 2.5. Note that 2.4 is coming out next, so you'll have to wait a release to see this fixed, unfortunately, but it's definitely on our radar now.

Thank you,

Scott