What is the future of ArcCatalog in future Pro versions?

02-10-2015 11:59 AM
RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

Unless I missed it, there's several Administration features in current ArcCatalog that are not available in Pro, specially the ones for geodatabases, e.g., Manage and Administer which is slightly different for each type of data objects.

81 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

George:

Thanks for the response.  I am curious to see if you are using Attribute Assistant (AA) to update SDE feature classes in ArcMap.  If so, do you see this being a problem for your migration to ArcPro as there is important functionality still not available in Attribute Rules (Pro's equivalent tool to ArcMap's AA)?

GeorgeBrown1
New Contributor III

Michael,

We are not using AA.

Blessings,

George A. Brown II, GISP

GIS Manager

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office

17RMP3734154988 USNG

904.630.2932 P

904.239.1395 C

904.630.4709 F

Hours: M-F 0600-1430 EST

George.Brown@jaxsheriff.org<mailto:George.Brown@jaxsheriff.org>

**IMPORTANT MESSAGE / CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE / FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY**

This message, including any attachments, is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential information and/or otherwise privileged or restricted material. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please alert the sender and delete the information.

Unless otherwise noted, the material contained in this document is considered active criminal intelligence and as such, is exempt from disclosure via the Florida Public Records Law (F.S.S. 119.07)

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The limitations of AR compared to AA is definitely a big issue at my org as that is part of our planned architecture moving forward to update very important enterprise SDE feature classes.

Since this is not an issue at all for your org, what would you say are the biggest issues to moving to Pro?

Would you consider the performance issue of SQL Server SDE in Pro a showstopper at this time?

0 Kudos
GeorgeBrown1
New Contributor III

Right now our biggest issue the learning curve of “where is everything” from our users. They will try it, not like it, and not use it. Icon styles were an issues so we downloaded some new styles from ESRI and that helped. A/C not being there is one of my two biggest complaints. The other is in using the Find tool in AM had a great work flow I used all day, every day after finding the address and then the right click option to add a point and then add a text box to that location. Not an option in AGP from what we are being told (see below from ESRI UC AGP Team this week). Right now, and we are just starting to work with importing our large MXD files into a new blank AGP Project, we are finding this extremely time consuming on the import and the projects are VERY slow to open if they have SDE connections.

Here is the work flow for example in AM:

Right click to add a call out text box, for example. Here are the steps in AM also and snap of what we are looking for in AGP:

• Take any AM .mxd

• Use the Find Tool to search an address using our own Address Locator, for example our ROADS locator

• From Find Window, select the Locations Tab, choose our ROADS locator, plug in the address in the Full Address line, hit Find. Our address appears

• From there you right click on the address in the Match_Addr and you have all the options on what to do. Where are these option in AGP??

From ESRI UC Pro Team in response to the above:

“it’s not there. The reason is that the end result is graphic text (mostly) and graphics are not supported in Map Views in AGP. They’ve heard from many customers that they want graphics support so they are strongly leaning in that direction to implement – perhaps 2.3 (scheduled for end of the year)”

Blessings,

George A. Brown II, GISP

GIS Manager

17RMP3734154988 USNG

904.630.2932 P

904.239.1395 C

904.630.4709 F

This message, including any attachments, is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential information and/or otherwise privileged or restricted material. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please alert the sender and delete the information.

Unless otherwise noted, the material contained in this document is considered active criminal intelligence and as such, is exempt from disclosure via the Florida Public Records Law (F.S.S. 119.07)

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

For your big issue with Pro not supporting graphics in the mapview have you voted up the following idea:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/10410 

Voting is how Thomas Colson was able to get ESRI to say you will never be able to publish services directly to ArcGIS Server from Pro to now it being implemented in Pro by mid-2019.  Voting on ideas is power.  This idea is up to a score of 1480 on 7/12/2018, but it needs to go much higher than that for ESRI to move the idea from Under Consideration to In Product Plan.

0 Kudos
GeorgeBrown1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the vote link. Guess I missed that one. Voted up now and as several mentioned, Map Notes is not the answer.

Blessings,

George A. Brown II, GISP

GIS Manager

17RMP3734154988 USNG

904.630.2932 P

904.239.1395 C

904.630.4709 F

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Right now our biggest issue the learning curve of “where is everything” from our users.

There are resources on the Esri Academy (formerly "training" formerly "online campus"):
https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/5b296eb4e620ca23e65420dc/migrate-to-arcgis-pro/ 

and, a useful book was recently released: Switching to ArcGIS Pro

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing those resources, Curtis.  As ArcGIS Pro is a new piece of software, there is a learning curve.  In addition to what you've shared, here is a list of resources that I've compiled (I've shared this before in various places around GeoNet.  Hope this is helpful to those interested in ArcGIS Pro.

Overview of ArcGIS Pro Licensing

ArcGIS Desktop licensing

Named User licensing in ArcGIS Online

ArcGIS Pro Named User licensing

Terminology Guide

http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-pro-terminology-guide.pdf

Training: Tutorials and Exercises

Quick Start tutorials

Learn.arcgis.com Lesson Gallery (filter by Product = ArcGIS Pro)

Migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro

ArcGIS Pro: Essential Workflows

Going Pro: ArcGIS Pro Essentials for ArcMap Users

ArcGIS Pro: Editing Essentials

ArcGIS Pro: Analysis and Geoprocessing Essentials

Beyond the Quick Start Tutorials:

Authoring and sharing maps: Author and share a mapAuthor and share a local scene

Map layouts: Work with a table frameWork with a grid

Python: Create a map book with Python

Geocoding series beginning with: Find addresses

Network Analyst series beginning with: Create routes

Data Reviewer series beginning with: Store validation results in your project

Help

For ArcMap users

Import a style into the project

Python in ArcGIS Pro

Analyze Tools For Pro

Analyze custom geoprocessing tools for ArcGIS Pro

Python migration from 10.x to ArcGIS Pro

Migrating from arcpy.mapping to ArcGIS Pro

Migrating arcpy.na to ArcGIS Pro

ModelBuilder: migration to ArcGIS Pro

Migrate locators to ArcGIS Pro

Migrate raster catalogs to geodatabase mosaic datasets

Upgrade Dataset

Migration from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro for data validation

Tools that are not available in ArcGIS Pro

Videos

Going Pro: ArcGIS Pro Essentials for ArcMap Users

ArcGIS Pro Editing Essentials

ArcGIS Pro: Tips and Tricks

ArcGIS Pro YouTube Playlist

Blogs

Dude, where's my Catalog?

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Why Undo is Underrated

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Get Your Maps in Sync

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Scroll Around The World

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Shortcut Savvy Navigation

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Scale-Based Symbol Sizing

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Thinking About Linking – 2D and 3D Views

ArcGIS Pro Tips: 5 Tips For Fixing Broken Data Links

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Save Time With Bookmarks

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Group Templates, Galleries, & Grids Make Editing a Snap

ArcGIS Pro Tips: This Might Just Be Your Favorite Tip Ever

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Customize Without a Line of Code

ArcGIS Pro SDK Development Series, Part 1:  Getting Started

ArcGIS Pro SDK Development Series, Part 2:  Learning the Pro SDK

BOOKS

Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro

GIS Tutorial 1 for ArcGIS Pro: A Platform Workbook

Understanding GIS: An ArcGIS Pro Project Workbook

Making Spatial Decisions Using ArcGIS Pro: A Workbook

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hey Kory, nice meeting you at the UC! Is this posted as a doc somewhere? I'm having trouble finding it so I can refer to it later. The training folks have posted a few similar docs too. There sure is a lot of stuff out there, which is good!

https://community.esri.com/community/education/blog/2018/05/24/arcgis-pro-training-guide-may-2018 

curtis and kory uc 2018

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I just posted it as a document https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-12082-arcgis-pro-learning-resources 

Thanks for sharing that training guide - I didn't know about that!