Install 64-bit processing with student license ArcMap 10.6

03-16-2018 01:25 PM
JacobSteiner
New Contributor II

I'm working with a large dataset and it's been recommended to me I try using Background Geoprocessing (64-bit) as a strategy to improve the performance of my analysis.

Unfortunately, I can't really find any information from ESRI on installing this. There is a post on stack exchange about this topic. It mentions that a student license did not have access to 64-bit background geoprocessing in ArcMap 10.2, but that it was added through service pack 10.2.1. I'm using a student license with ArcMap 10.6, downloaded from esri. When I return to the "ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial" download page, there is no option for downloading Background Geoprocessing (64-bit).

Where can I find the installer for this support?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are with an educational institution, someone in your organization should be managing the site account.  I would contact them

seems to be a recent problem as well

https://community.esri.com/thread/172300

JacobSteiner
New Contributor II

Hi Dan. This is helpful information. I just want to note that it may not be applicable for people with installations not affiliated with a specific organization (for example self learner who got their authorization code from the "Getting To Know ArcGIS" text. Is there a solution for unaffiliated users of a student trial license?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jacob... I couldn't find any reference.  If you need 64 bit, I am afraid, ArcGIS Pro would have been the one to try.

Also, none of the exercise data sets would require background geoprocessing, so that is probably why it isn't included.

0 Kudos