Issue with polygon layer to kml for Google Earth Pro

Jump to solution
12-12-2017 01:05 PM
JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Hello

I am trying to convert my polygon layer which is part of a geodatabase file to a kml file that I can use in Google Earth Pro. I would like to retain the symbols to the best ability. I have no problem convert to kml, but it does not reflex symbol style or field in which I have selected for conversion. 

I realize coloring etc with need to be modified. However, I am trying actually display the field "Defined Category" not the 'Name' field in which it seems to be reverting to when I convert. Does anyone know why this is happening?This is what it looks like this in Arc Map and what I would like to have in google earth.

This is what I get for Google Earth.

This is the Id Name of each of my polygons. I really want to display the 'Defined Category'

I did try to save as a layer and try to convert to kml that way, but I get the same results. I have attached the layer file. I hope someone can assist me.

Thanks 

Jess

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

When creating KML from ArcMap you will get a node for each polygon, so you won't get the same look as and ArcMap layer.

If you label the layer using the same field that you are classifying by in ArcMap, and recreated the KML, the the table of contents in the KML will show the classification, which may be useful?   You will still see all of the listed individually.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

When creating KML from ArcMap you will get a node for each polygon, so you won't get the same look as and ArcMap layer.

If you label the layer using the same field that you are classifying by in ArcMap, and recreated the KML, the the table of contents in the KML will show the classification, which may be useful?   You will still see all of the listed individually.

JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Thanks Mark

That worked. I didn't realize that I needed to change the field in the label tab. Worked great.

Cheers

Jess

0 Kudos